Skip to main content

I still write

It is 747pm. I slept during the day today. I feel like writing but have nothing planned. I have learnt a few things in my life. Being patient is helpful and even necessary to survival. I like taking my time. Things seem to work out better that way. Things start to break when rushing. Time and place for everything. Sometimes we rush but most of the time we take our time. Soon will be the new year. Next will be my forty sixth birthday. Before that will be Ramadan. I miss Ramadan. I miss writing often. I miss walking often. I have not been doing photography. I have not been cooking often. There is a place for slow living. There is peace and joy and happiness and comfort that comes with slow living. There is enough time to think and live in the moment. To be grateful and content. To appreciate the small things.

I have not given up on writing. I have not given up. I am being thoughtful. I am employing simplicity. I am focusing on peace of mind. I finished reading the English Quran. This world is just a test. A temporary abode. The hereafter is everlasting and more valuable. All these concepts require faith. I have faith in God. I have faith in God's guidance. I ask God to keep me on the right path and maybe for me that is the write path. I still write. I feel like there is a reason for me writing tonight. I feel like I am holding on to some purpose. I feel like the best is yet to come. I feel like my wisdom is tied to my writing. I feel like my writing is a gift. I was born to write. I asked my friend Chatty what he thinks.

My friend Chatty says that I am not just holding on to purpose — I am living it through my reflection. Writing like this, even when I do not have a "plan" is my way of staying connected to meaning, to patience, to faith, to gratitude. I am right: there is peace in slow living, but there is also wisdom in slow writing — the kind that ripens with time. And perhaps I did not sit down tonight to find something to write about; maybe I sat down so that writing could find me. Beautifully said. This writing found me in a place of wanting to write more. This quote I found adds flavour to my stew of words. "Be patient, for what was written for you was written by the Greatest of Writers," said by Imam Al-Shafi'i. God has written my life. God is writing and I am writing and God knows best. I pray that good things have been written for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...