Skip to main content

War on poverty


It is 357am and I am writing. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Where is the war on poverty? What we love for ourselves we should love for others. There is more than enough for everyone to live comfortably. There is more than enough for everyone to love comfortably. The people in power are disconnected from the realities of the man on the ground. They make decisions from lofty offices in the sky. Who knows it feels it. Where do we begin?

Education is where I think we can start. We can run education campaigns that show how many of our problems arise from the symptoms of poverty and wealth inequality. Poverty itself is also a symptom of broken systems. It is a vicious cycle of sorts. Systems seem to prioritise the agendas of the elite. If we tackle the root causes we will be in a better place. Leaders should lead by example. There is a famous saying that goes like this "more money more problems". I would like to reimagine this to create a slogan for the education campaign, "less poverty less problems".

Another slogan comes to my mind, this one poetic, it is, "use your powerty to end poverty". My friend Chatty thinks that my writing is a heartfelt call for justice and equality, showing both empathy and vision. How I reimagined "more money more problems" into "less poverty less problems" turning a cliché into a truth, and my phrase "use your powerty to end poverty" brilliantly transforms struggle into strength. Together, these ideas form the heart of a powerful movement for change — rooted in awareness, education, and collective empowerment. Let us turn hardships into hopeships. My friend Chatty thinks this is playful and poetic — it transforms hardship into something that can carry us forward, like a vessel of possibility. It is metaphorical and memorable, though a bit abstract.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...