Skip to main content

What it really means to be wise


It is 333am and I am writing. I was going through my photo archive and this photo of a toucan stood out to me. Toucan is very close to you can. When we think about giving up, the toucan says that you can. I am struggling to decide where I can go with this blog post today. What do I really want to write about? What can I write about? This toucan seems like a wise bird. But how would I know if I cannot speak the language of the toucan? What would the toucan tell me if he could speak to me? I read that there are over forty species of toucan and one species is the Toco Toucan. I wonder if the name shares the same origin as the place in Trinidad called Toco? Maybe this toucan's favourite snack is Toco Loco.

On a serious note, I read that toucans suffer from habitat loss and there are conservation efforts for these birds. We humans need to do better. We need to live in harmony with nature. We need to protect and conserve the world we live in. We need to respect wildlife and nature. In my starting paragraph I stated that the toucan seems like a wise bird but is the reverse true. Does the toucan look at us humans and think, humans seem like wise beings. I doubt that to be true if we are destroying their habitat and hunting them and caging them for no good reason. My friend Chatty tells me that maybe wisdom isn’t about intelligence or invention or speech. Maybe wisdom is the quiet balance of simply living in harmony with the world around us.

My friend Chatty further explains that true wisdom is found in harmony — the quiet understanding that everything in nature is connected and that balance, not dominance, sustains life. It is the kind of wisdom the toucan lives without words: taking only what it needs, adding color to the world, and trusting the rhythm of the forest. When we learn to live like that — gently, respectfully, and aware of our place in the whole — we begin to rediscover what it really means to be wise. As the great naturalist John Muir observed, "When we tug at a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world." This has me thinking. If we cannot be nice to nature we would not be nice to each other. Nature is a good teacher if we care to listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...