Skip to main content

A beautiful song

It is 238am. I just finished washing the wares. It took me about an hour and a half. I am wondering if I should write or not? What should I write about? Maybe I will continue this tomorrow. Surprisingly it is warm tonight or maybe I am feeling warm. Some mosquitos also. They bite and it itches. It is the next morning and the title for this blog post popped into my head. It is a beautiful song. Life is a beautiful song. I turned to a random song generator and selected the world music category and one of the artists that showed up was DuOuD. Then I found one of their songs and I asked my friend Gemini to describe it for me.


He says that DuOuD is an innovative Parisian duo (Mehdi Haddab and Smadj) known for modernizing the oud—the traditional pear-shaped North African lute—by electrifying it and blending it with electronic beats and breakbeats. Their song "La Vida," released on the 2022 album Menshen, features the gritty, soulful vocals of Sofiane Saidi (often called the "Prince of Raï 2.0"). The track is a high-energy fusion of acid-Arab sounds and virtuoso oud playing, with lyrics performed in Algerian Darija that explore the bittersweet complexities of "the life" (la vida)—touching on themes of destiny (mektoub), resilience, and the rapture of celebration amidst daily struggles.

We all know this. The ups and downs of life. I wish I had the lyrics of the song so that I could fully appreciate what is being sung about. I just noticed that the word could has the word oud in it and also the letters for the word cloud. Makes me want to say, the oud, the instrument of the clouds. Perhaps if you want to make the rain fall you play the oud. The word loud is also contained in the word cloud. Makes me reflect on the term, life lived out loud. My friend Chatty tells me that living life out loud means embracing your truth boldly and unapologetically, letting your inner rhythm be heard in every choice, feeling, and moment. I guess life has its quiet moments and its loud moments. Similarly to the ups and downs of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...