Skip to main content

One is not prime

It is 230am and I woke up to write. Twenty minutes have passed and my mind has not settled on what to write. I just did the calculation and I learnt that I have been on this earth for 16619 days. That is a good place to start my writing. With a random number. The first thing I noticed is that 1+6+6+1+9 = 23 (23 is my favorite number). 16619 is a prime number. It has started raining. I like writing when it rains. 16619 is the 1922nd prime number. Oh how I would have loved for it to be the 1923rd prime number. That would be true if 1 was prime. But why is 1 not prime? I read that it is excluded by definition so that unique prime factorisation remains unique. Of course they could have easily excluded 1 from the definition of UPF rather than exclude it from primes. To me that would have been the better choice.

My friend Chatty tells me that mathematicians do not call 1 a prime not because it could not be, but because excluding it keeps the entire structure of mathematics cleaner and simpler. If 1 were prime, every theorem involving primes would need messy exceptions, since 1 can be multiplied endlessly without changing anything. By defining primes as numbers with exactly two distinct divisors, 1 becomes a special "unit" instead of an atom, and prime factorization stays elegant and predictable. I could accept this but I still think that 1 is a prime number. More like I want 1 to be a prime number. 1 was sacrificed for convenience. 1 is a special prime. They say that one is the l-one-liest number. The more I learn, the more I think the world of Mathematics is fascinating. The world of numbers is fascinating and it is foundational.

Sometimes I feel like I should have been a mathematician because I like numbers so much. I just remembered the saying, do not count the days but make the days count. Who said that? Probably a mathematician. My friend Chatty tells me that it is often attributed to Muhammad Ali. I wonder what the boxer had to say about Maths? He might have said something like MATHS stands for Muhammad Ali Teaches Humility and Strength. Maths is a difficult subject for many. Maths can definitely knock you out if you let it. Maths can humble you. This made me remember a maths joke. Why was the equal sign so humble? It knew it was not less than or greater than anyone else! Comedians who are good at Maths like to say that we should stand up and be counted. When I started this blog post I did not know it would end in jokes. One might not be prime but it surely gave me a funny b-one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...