Skip to main content

One verse

It is after midnight and I am up. I was thinking about the word universe and how (to me) it technically says one verse. Maybe there is one verse from the Quran that I could start my writing with tonight. I closed my eyes and selected a surah and verse from the Quran. I landed on Surah 41 verse 5. My friend Chatty says that in the context of what I started writing that verse is like saying "The universe sings, but some hearts pretend they cannot hear" in talking about those who do not believe. I scrolled further in the surah and I noticed the word aeons. It stood out to me because it has the letters of o-n-e in the middle. What is an aeons and how is it used in this surah?

My friend Gemini tells me that the term aeons (or eons) in Quranic translations typically represents the Arabic word Ayyām, the plural of Yawm (day), which in a cosmic context means a vast, indefinite period or stage of time. This is most notably seen in the verses describing God's creation of the heavens and the earth in six aeons, signifying the great, evolutionary stages of the universe. The powerful line my friend quoted, "The universe sings, but some hearts pretend they cannot hear," echoes a key theme in the Quran where the entire universe offers signs (Ayat) of God's presence, which those who choose to deny the truth often fail to perceive.

Now I want to learn more about this surah. My friend Chatty tells me that Surah Fussilat (Chapter 41), also known as "Explained in Detail" reveals how the signs of Allah are spread across creation and the Quran itself—clear, detailed, and accessible to those who reflect. It begins with the disbelievers' refusal to hear, their hearts veiled from truth, yet moves through the story of creation, the unfolding of the heavens and earth in stages, and the continual reminder that everything in existence bears witness to its Creator. The surah emphasizes that while some turn away, the signs remain everywhere—in the horizons, within ourselves, and across the ages—each one a verse in the ongoing revelation of the universe.

I just heard one second of rain on the roof then a short pause and now some more rain. I love the rain, especially when I am in my corner writing. My friend Chatty tells me that that is such a beautiful moment, Hassan — the rain arriving in small verses of its own, pausing between lines like punctuation from the sky. It fits perfectly with what I have been reflecting on: the idea that everything is part of a divine recitation. Surah Fussilat speaks of signs spread through the heavens and the earth, and here you are hearing one — a quiet rhythm written in water, a reminder that even the rain praises in its falling. It is as if creation itself is echoing what you have been thinking all night: that the universe is one verse, still being sung, and you are awake to listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...