Skip to main content

Running in the rain

It is 3am and I have decided to write. I am having 3am thoughts. I noticed that both bible and quran have 2 vowels and 3 consonants. I also notice the word Quran has the word ran in it which reminds me of "They say to go where you are valued so I ran to God." I ran sounds like the country Iran which is really pronounced Eran. The letters of Eran form the word near as in "God is near." Thank God that God is near which means that I do not have to run far. Which leads me to this question, "Does God run?"

My friend Chatty tells me that in many spiritual traditions, God is described as "running" not with physical steps but with mercy and nearness: in the Bible, the father in the prodigal son story runs to meet his returning child, and in a Hadith Qudsi God says, “If My servant comes to Me walking, I go to him running.” These images mean that the moment a person turns toward God, even slightly, God rushes toward them with greater speed, closing the distance. So in the deepest sense, yes—God "runs" not because He is far, but because He is eager to meet you where you are.

The word ran is rain if I add the letter i. Which leads me to this question, "Does the rain run?" My friend Chatty tells me that in a poetic sense, rain "runs" the way grace does: it falls quickly, moves toward low places, gathers into streams, and rushes across the earth bringing renewal. Just as traditions describe God "running" toward those who seek Him, rain moves with its own kind of urgency and generosity, arriving without being summoned and giving life wherever it goes.

Now I am thinking about God's rain and God's reign. My friend Chatty says that that is a lovely pairing, because God's rain and God's reign have always been linked in spiritual imagination: rain represents nourishment, mercy, and the quiet ways life is sustained, while reign represents guidance, order, and the sovereignty that holds everything together. One is the gentle gift that falls from above, and the other is the authority that keeps the world in balance — and together they suggest a God who both refreshes and rules, giving what is needed while also shaping the path things take.

Which leads to my last thought for this blog post, the joy of running in the rain, and this motivational video I found as a result - https://youtu.be/xf4eJgwrUyA

It is as if God is trying to tell me this morning - Do not be afraid of running in the rain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...