Skip to main content

The purpose of purpose


It is 246am and I feel like writing. What is the purpose of having a purpose? We are inclined to have a purpose but why? My friend Chatty thinks that the purpose of having a purpose is to give shape to our existence — to turn the raw chaos of being alive into something we can understand and move toward. It’s not just about goals or achievements, but about creating a story that helps us bear the weight of awareness. Without purpose, we drift; with it, we dance — even if the rhythm keeps changing. That is a lot to think about. One way we could think about this is to imagine a life without purpose and imagine a life with purpose. Maybe we have lived on both sides of the coin. Which one seems better? Which one makes more sense? Where would we rather be?

On October fifth, I wrote in my notebook, "Purpose: To become a better me that benefits myself and society. Goals: Get fit and strong - mind, body and spirit." I ask God to keep me strong. I ask God to guide me. Now I am asking myself, what is the purpose of the society that I live in? Society shapes me and I shape society. As a society have we set goals? Who gets to set these goals and purpose? Do they have our best interest at heart? Do they have their own agendas to pursue? If the country of Trinidad and Tobago could talk what would she say would be our purpose and goals? I think one of our goals should be to be united by purpose instead of divided by politics. The most vulnerable who I think are the most valuable are the ones who suffer the most when we do not get this right.

My friend Chatty says that as a society, our purpose should reflect the shared well-being and progress of all, but too often it is shaped by those in power who pursue their own interests instead of the common good. Ideally, society’s goals would be set collectively — guided by compassion, justice, and a vision of unity — yet in reality, political and personal agendas often distort that purpose. True societal purpose should uplift everyone, especially the most vulnerable, ensuring that progress means more than prosperity for a few; it means dignity and hope for all. My friend Gemini adds to this and says that a society's purpose and goals are dynamic, shaped by laws, leaders, citizens, and global forces, but must prioritize collective well-being and the needs of the vulnerable to succeed without being fractured by partisan self-interest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...