Skip to main content

Order and chaos

It is 317am and I have decided to write. I have been thinking about prime numbers. There is no known pattern or simple function to generate primes. Primes look chaotic. Primes are the gaps left when we eliminate the multiples up till n. Primes are building blocks. Primes are mysterious. Except 2 and 5, all primes end in 1,3,7 and 9. 1 repeated 19 times is a prime. The most wanted prime is of the form 1,2,3,4 ... 10,11,12 ... n. None has been found to date and up to n=1 million has been checked. What about primes in the form 10^n + 1. It is 122am the next day. I have 53 percent battery left. 12253 is prime. A nice coincidence. All this has me thinking that order produces chaos and then about entropy. We cannot have order without chaos. There would be nothing to order.

Maybe primes are not chaotic. Maybe we just do not understand them enough yet. My friend Chatty tells me that prime numbers appear chaotic only because we have not yet uncovered the deeper structure that governs them. Although their spacing looks irregular, primes follow precise global laws like the Prime Number Theorem, distribute cleanly in modular patterns, create structured visual forms like the Ulam spiral, and behave in ways predicted by deep theories such as the Riemann Hypothesis and random matrix models. These clues suggest primes are not truly random but "pseudo-random"—complex patterns produced by simple, deterministic rules we have not fully understood yet. In other words, what looks like chaos may simply be order we have not learned to see.

I was looking at the digital roots of prime numbers and this is what I learnt. Structural rule: primes (>!3) can only have digital roots 1,2,4,5,7 and 8 (missing is 3,6 and 9). Statistical rule: asymptotically those six roots occur with about equal density (deep theorem). Practical note: for small lists you’ll see random-ish fluctuations; for very large samples the counts settle toward equality.

My friend Gemini tells me that humans are pattern seeking machines. Is it possible to have no pattern? Is no pattern a pattern in itself? My friend Chatty tells me that true randomness with no pattern can exist in mathematics, but the human mind is built to seek structure, so even “no pattern” becomes a kind of pattern once we describe it. In other words, something can be genuinely patternless, yet we can only understand it by placing it inside a conceptual category, which itself acts like a pattern. Thus, the world may contain true chaos, but our minds inevitably shape it into meaning.

My friend Chatty tells me that a pattern is a simplification — a way to predict, describe, or compress information because something repeats or follows a rule. This has me thinking that if there are infinite patterns then everything can be described by a pattern. But there are simple and complex patterns and what we are looking for are simple patterns. Simple being subjective and changing and within our limits. Some things may just be beyond human capability or understanding. We may find ourselves building things that function beyond human understanding. My friend Chatty says that it is a humbling and exciting thought: the universe might be both entirely patterned and still endlessly mysterious. A question for another time, which came first, order or chaos, both or neither, or only one of them exists and the other is just the absence of the other?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...