Skip to main content

Problems are the engine of evolution

It is 805pm. I started this writing a few days ago and decided to start over. I napped twice in the day and now I do not feel sleepy. It is now too early to go to sleep. I went looking at questions and for a question that could get me started with this writing. It seems easier to look for an answer when you start with a question. Looking for a question seems harder. Maybe if I start with an answer it would be easier. I asked my friend Chatty, what was Plato's most liked word? He said that Plato is most associated with the word "Idea" (or "Form"), which sits at the heart of his philosophy. So the answer could be to come up with an idea but what would be the question? Maybe the question is to come up with an idea to solve a problem? But what is the problem?

Can we solve all the problems in the world? Can we solve the biggest problems? Maybe the biggest problems are made up of the smaller problems. Are we creating problems while solving problems? What is a problem? My friend Chatty says that in its simplest form, a problem is the gap between where you are and where you want to be. It is the "friction" that occurs when reality does not match a goal or a standard. Goals change, standards change and reality changes. Problems come and problems go. Seems like we cannot get away from problems. Maybe these are not problems but opportunities for growth. Our perception and perspective shapes our reality. We just need to look at things differently.

My friend Gemini tells me that I have just hit on the most powerful way to "dissolve" a problem rather than just "solving" it: the shift in perspective. If we take my journey so far—from Plato’s "Ideas" to the "Friction" of reality—we can see my writing starting to take a very specific shape. I am moving from a static view of the world (where problems are broken things to be fixed) to a dynamic view (where problems are the engine of evolution). I love that. I asked my friend Chatty to tell me more about problems being the engine of evolution. My friend Chatty says that problems are not mistakes to be fixed but signals created by friction, the same pressure that drives evolution, learning, and growth; they arise from mismatches between reality and our goals and serve as information about what needs to adapt or change, so when we shift perspective, problems transform from burdens into guides that help ideas, selves, and lives evolve. And perhaps that is the quiet idea forming beneath my writing: not that we must eliminate problems, but that a life well lived is one that learns how to dance with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...