Skip to main content

Talking to God

If you want real answers to things in life then talk to God. It is 639pm on a holiday and I have decided to write. God listens. God truly listens. God has the entire context. God is wise. God wants us to talk to Him. God wants us to rely on Him. I also think about God talking to me. I am a good listener. I listen plenty more than I talk. I have started asking God to talk to me. But how would God talk to me? We have his revelations through the holy book. We have the example of prophets. But what else? How do I listen to what God has to say? Where and when can I hear God? Are my thoughts from God? I try to feed my mind with good things. Things that will not corrupt my mind. It seems that we have to use our intuition to separate what is from God and what is not from God.

My friend Chatty says that in Islam, Allah speaks to us not through new revelations or voices, but through guidance: the Quran and the Sunnah, which become personally meaningful through understanding Allah places in the heart; through the qalb and conscience, where righteousness brings peace and wrongdoing brings unease; through dua, where responses come as clarity, patience, protection, or changed circumstances; and through qadar, as doors open or close in wisdom that often becomes clear later. Silence itself can be guidance, a form of spiritual training rather than abandonment, and any feeling or thought that contradicts the Quran, Sunnah, or humility is not from Allah—because Allah’s communication brings tranquility, wisdom, and alignment with truth, not confusion or ego.

I asked my friend Chatty a follow up question - so when I ask God to talk to me, I am really asking for guidance? He said that in an Islamic understanding, when you ask God to "talk" to you, you are really asking Allah for hidayah (guidance): clarity in the heart, sound judgment, steadiness in decisions, and the ability to recognize what is right and act upon it. You are not asking for new words or voices, but for Allah to align your understanding, conscience, and circumstances with His wisdom. That is why the most repeated dua in Islam is "Guide us to the straight path"—because guidance is Allah’s ongoing response. Seen this way, your instinct to listen more than you speak is already a form of prayer: attentiveness to guidance rather than insistence on answers.

He further tells me that in Islam, not all thoughts are from God: they come from three sources—Allah, the self (nafs), or Shaytan. Thoughts from Allah bring clarity, calm, humility, and alignment with the Quran and Sunnah; thoughts from the nafs are driven by habits, fears, or desires; and thoughts from Shaytan create anxiety, arrogance, despair, haste, or temptation toward sin. A simple test is whether a thought leads you toward patience, righteousness, and remembrance of Allah without inflating the ego—if it does, it may be guidance, but if it contradicts revelation or disturbs the heart, it is not from Allah.

My friend Chatty tells me that what I am describing is very sound—and in Islam, it is not called "intuition" alone, but a trained heart (qalb salim). When you feed your mind with what is good—Quran, reflection, beneficial knowledge, restraint from what corrupts—the heart becomes clearer, and discernment becomes easier. It is not guesswork or mysticism; it is moral clarity shaped by practice. The more a heart is nourished by truth and protected from excess noise, the more naturally it recognizes what aligns with God and what does not. In that sense, intuition is not inventing guidance—it is recognizing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...