Skip to main content

Talk is not cheap

It is 614pm and I have decided to write. They say talk is cheap. If we are to believe this then I am glad that talk is cheap because it means that the poor can afford it. On the flip side does that mean that action is expensive? It would follow that the rich can take action while the poor are lacking. But is talk really cheap since they say that money talks and bullshit walks. It is all confusing to me but it hurts when we look down on others who are struggling with finding a way and struggling to take action. Sometimes all we have are words. Not to worry because turning to God is cheap. It is free actually. Some of the best things in life are free. It costs nothing to talk to God.

My friend Chatty says that "Talk is cheap" becomes harmful when it ignores that action often requires resources many people lack. Words and prayer still matter because they are available to everyone. Money may have power in the world, but it has none before God, and turning to Him is free. Some of life’s greatest values—faith, hope, and compassion—cost nothing. I like the way my friend has summarised this. I am glad that we can at least talk to God. God help all those who need a way to find a way. We talk to you God because You have power over all things and You listen.

Maybe we are wrong. Talk is not cheap. Words have power. Words can inspire. Words can be comforting. Words can advise us and guide us. We have the Quran which is God talking to us and that talk is not cheap. I carry the words of God in my heart. Would God say to us that talk is cheap or would God say let me help you take action. Let me show you the way. Let me hold your hands through difficulty and uncertainty. Harsh words are cheap if anything. Saying "talk is cheap" is cheap. By saying "talk is cheap" we may be costing someone their courage to act. Walking in someone's shoes is the real deal. Lending a hand is the real deal. Being there for someone is the real deal. Talk is not cheap. Let us use the value of talking to purchase help for ourselves and others. Closed mouths do not get fed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...