Skip to main content

Where my feet take me

This is a chapter from my latest book called Breezes of Tobago.

I got up early. I brush my teeth. I had a good bowel movement and I emptied my bladder. There are no bathroom stops along the way and the plan is to walk from Crown Point to Scarborough. I put on my favourite shorts and jersey, comfortable socks and my shoes that have already covered some distance. My smartphone is fully charged and I plan to take photos along the way. Walking is a great form of exercise and great for mental health and well being. Walking has been a good friend to me over the years. I do not run because my body is not strong enough for running. Walking is a great way to explore a country. The smells, sights and sounds. If I am lucky I will pass by a mango stall or other fruit. Maybe even a fruit tree or two that is available to the public. Sometimes I even break off pieces of plants to carry home for my mom to plant.

My friend Chatty tells me that walking is an honest, gentle partnership with the body that values presence over speed. It invites awareness of the world—the smells, sounds, people, and small details—while supporting both physical and mental well-being. Free from competition and pressure, walking meets you where you are, making it a sustainable, dignified way to explore places, care for yourself, and move through life with curiosity and respect.

I like that Bon Accord has a stretch of pavement. I like the beautiful houses and nice resorts as well. The route is also a busy taxi route so if walking becomes too much for me, I could take a taxi or maybe even it starts to rain. There are periods of empty land with grazing cattle. The Tobago Plantation landscape is well manicured and the lake adds to the beauty although home to caimans. The egrets and blue herons prance around looking for a meal. I pass the Lowlands mall where there is a food court and shopping and even a cinema. Closer to Scarborough the road begins to climb.

It took me about two and half hours to arrive at the capital. The breezes help to dry the sweat from my body and clothes and keep me cool. I can see the fast ferry and a big cruise liner docked. The Esplanade is a good spot to rest off and there are public washrooms there. If you are lucky you may get to see someone playing the steelpan. I treated myself to some homemade Soursop ice cream. When I am in Scarborough and it is closer to lunch time I can get food at Renas roti or Jats or even Subway. I have even had doubles on the evenings. Further up the road is the library that I have never been inside and then the botanical gardens. From Scarborough you can even walk to Fort George for a birds eye view. Guided by the breeze and trusting my feet, this was the end of my walk and the quiet victory of having gone the distance echoed through my soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...