Skip to main content

5 Things We Can Learn From Doubles Vendors

Make the price is right. In business you have to set the right price. If the price is too high sales will suffer. If the price is too low quality will suffer. The price of doubles makes it affordable for most. It is so afforable that you can afford to buy two or three at a time depending on your appetite. The pricing also means that doubles vendors make a decent living and there are many across the country. It is a thriving business model.

Cater to the different customer needs. People tastes are different. No pepper, slight pepper and all the way to heavy pepper. If two barras is not enough, you can have a triples. Although, I have never heard of anyone getting a quadruple. Allergic to flour, some persons get a cup of channa. I have even seen persons order the channa and barra separately to carry home. Some vendors come out in the morning and some come out in the evenings and nights. There is something for everyone meaning the doubles vendor can cover a larger market segment.

Keep it simple. The ingredients are cheap and easy to source. No expensive or complex machinery is needed. Just skilled hands and your tried and tested recipe. Some doubles vendors have tried to get fancy by introducing meats and some others even calling theirs gourmet doubles. I even heard about a doubles making machine. But these things have not caught on. The simple and traditional way of doing things have survived modern advances.

The early bird catches the worm. Doubles vendors have been known to be up in the early morning well before opening time preparing and frying and packing and getting ready for the early morning crowds. This dedication and commitment ensures that the country is served with fresh and tasty doubles in every corner of the country, Monday to Sunday. Who doesn't love that doubles before work or school or that early Caura or Maracas run.

Be efficient. Nobody likes to wait long. Doubles vendors have some of swiftest hands. Before I could take out my money the doubles done make and waiting in bag for me to grab and go and get on with my busy day. A longer line might be the sign of a good doubles but even so the line is moving quickly. The more established vendors have someone separate handling the money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...