Skip to main content

Running php and apache on termux


This was my experience getting php and apache to run on termux

apt update && apt upgrade -y

apt install php-apache

I was following an old blog post that used php 7 and got these errors

Can't locate API module structure `php7_module' in file /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/libexec/apache2/libphp.so: undefined symbol: php7_module

Cannot load /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/libexec/apache2/libphp7.so

Corrected in apache config file

vim $PREFIX/etc/apache2/httpd.conf

LoadModule php_module /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/libexec/apache2/libphp.so

Apache is running a threaded MPM, but your PHP Module is not compiled to be threadsafe.  You need to recompile PHP.

Comment out mpm_worker and use mpm_prefork

#LoadModule mpm_worker_module libexec/apache2/mod_mpm_worker.so
LoadModule mpm_prefork_module libexec/apache2/mod_mpm_prefork.so

This still does not work as apache (httpd) was failing silently. According to Chatty LoadModule php_module ...libphp.so often fails in Termux because mod_php is incompatible or unstable with Android builds, so PHP-FPM is used instead since it’s decoupled, stable, and works via FastCGI.

But php-fpm was giving this error at first

Fri May 15 15:04:09 2026 (29777): Error Cannot create lock - Permission denied (13)

vim $PREFIX/etc/php-fpm.conf

[global]
error_log = /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/var/log/php-fpm.log

include=$PREFIX/etc/php-fpm.d/*.conf

mkdir -p $PREFIX/etc/php-fpm.d
vim $PREFIX/etc/php-fpm.d/www.conf

#substitute whoami, should look like u0_aNNN where NNN is a 3 digit number

[www]

user = whoami
group = whoami

listen = 127.0.0.1:9000

pm = dynamic
pm.max_children = 5
pm.start_servers = 1
pm.min_spare_servers = 1
pm.max_spare_servers = 2

; Disable OPcache here (IMPORTANT)
php_admin_value[opcache.enable] = 0
php_admin_value[opcache.enable_cli] = 0

And finally the command that works because I also had to force disable opcache from the command line

php-fpm -y $PREFIX/etc/php-fpm.conf -d opcache.enable=0 -d opcache.enable_cli=0

And I can test it out here from bash

php -r '
$h=["127.0.0.1","localhost","::1"];
foreach($h as $x){
  $s=@fsockopen($x,9000);
  echo "$x => ";
  var_dump($s);
}
'

This is how you can configure apache to use php-fpm

LoadModule proxy_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule proxy_fcgi_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy
_fcgi.so
#<FilesMatch \.php$>
 # SetHandler application/x-httpd-php                 #</FilesMatch>
<FilesMatch \.php$>                                       SetHandler "proxy:fcgi://127.0.0.1:9000"
</FilesMatch>

This is just a test dev environment so a minimal/starter config was used. A proper config is needed for the real world. Also a rooted phone might not get the opcache error.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...