Skip to main content

Bloom

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


It is after midnight in the middle of the week and I am in the mood to write. I go to use the bathroom and saw the blue bucket. I told myself that that blue bucket would make a good photo and probably lead to a fun chapter. In doing research I learnt about two "blue bucket" initiatives. The Perfect World Foundation is behind the Blue Bucket initiative where boat owners are reminded to pick up plastic they encounter at sea. Also, some parents use blue buckets to signal that their child has autism during trick or treat and Halloween. If I combine blue and bucket I get blucket which has both the word luck in it and if I remove luck I am left with bet. And this leads me to the two bucket theory. This is a concept used by pilots to describe the relationship between luck and experience. We start with a bucket empty of experience where we have to get bet-ter and another bucket full of luck. The bucket full of luck has a hole in it. The idea is to become full of experience before luck runs out.

There is an African proverb that goes, "Until you carry your own bucket, you won't understand the value of a drop of water." Similar to the proverb, "Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes." Then there is the Yoruba proverb that goes, "Do not throw away water you have in the bucket because you hear the thunder clap". I could probably fill a bucket with proverbs if I continue. Let me add one more proverb for good measure. Like this Chinese proverb, "A person cannot be judged by his appearance in the same way as the sea cannot be measured with a bucket." Speaking of the sea. The French word for bucket is seau. I guess I could say that proverbs are good for the seaul. If only seaul was the French word for soul.

This blue bucket that I have photographed is cracked at the top side and has served us well everytime the water goes and I have to take bucket baths. I am reminded about the story about the leaky bucket that has been around the internet for some time. An elderly Chinese woman carried two buckets on a pole—one perfect and one cracked. For two years, the perfect bucket felt proud while the cracked one lamented its inability to deliver a full load. One day, the cracked bucket confessed its shame, and the woman smiled, revealing that she had planted flowers along its side of the path. Each day, as the cracked bucket leaked water, it nurtured those flowers, bringing beauty to her home. The woman explained that its flaw had created joy and beauty, teaching the bucket that imperfections can lead to unexpected blessings. I like how my blue bucket led to a story of blooms. How bluetiful. And that completes another chapter in this book, eh. I think I will eventually need a bucket to carry all my books and then it would be a booket.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...