Skip to main content

A pot of callaloo

Call for Submissions: Archipelagic Entanglements

When I saw the call for submissions online I was doubtful. I do not know enough history. I do not understand the topic. Then after chatting with my friend Chatty I realised maybe I can be the topic. My ethnic and racial makeup is an archipelagic entanglement. Colonialism meets indentureship meets slavery. My mom is East Indian muslim and my dad is French, Portuguese and Mulato christian and who knows what else. I am an example of a pot of callaloo. Everyone's favorite Sunday lunch. I am what happens when lineages cross oceans and histories collide. I am thinking to myself now, what is the message I want to put forward with my blog post? What is the direction I want to take? Maybe it is this. What can we do when we have such a rich heritage and know so little of our own history?

First of all I do not think I am alone with this struggle. I did not realise this until I thought about it but not knowing enough of my own history and background is like a yearning or lacking and feels like a big part of me is missing. How can we know ourselves if we do not know our history? We are living archives, even when the records are broken. We are results of the past and the beginning of the future. My friend Chatty tells me that "We do not inherit answers—only the responsibility to keep asking."

When I look into the past with my limited scope I see privilege alongside struggles and injustice alongside survival. When I look at the present, I see the triumph of good over evil but with hesitation. It seems the more things change, the more things remain the same. In some ways we have moved forward but in some ways we have gone backwards. When I look into the future, I think of the phrase, it gets better and I ask the question, what things do we need to let go of that no longer serve us? My friend Chatty says that what I wrote says the past gives us contradictions, not clarity. The present gives us progress with conditions. The future asks us to choose, not wait.

Identity is an active process of becoming rather than a passive act of remembering. I am a pot of callaloo. We are a pot of callaloo. What makes a good pot of callaloo? Simple ingredients, patience and love. We should have patience with each other. We should have love for each other. We should understand that none of us has it easy. We should be grateful for how far we have come. And like a good pot of callaloo that needs to be shared, we should share our vision for the future. And in sharing this pot, we taste a future we can cook together. A pot of call-aloo is a call to share our vision for the future without the unwanted parts of our history repeating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...