Skip to main content

Winning with God

It is 237am and I have decided to write. I spent 15 minutes thinking about what to write and nothing. I decided to go wash the wares and make breakfast. I made grilled cheese sandwiches. It is the next morning and I still have not decided yet. Let me start with this. God is beautiful. God makes no mistakes. God wants us to win. In other words, we cannot lose with God. We will always win with God. But what is the prize to be won with God? Or does it not matter?

My friend Chatty tells me that with God, the win is: Peace that is not dependent on circumstances. Meaning that suffering cannot cancel. Love that does not expire. Hope that death itself cannot take away. Things like those. It is not money, comfort, applause, or an easy life. Those things may come or go. Many faithful people never receive them. The world’s prizes can be stolen. God's prize cannot.

Further and with God, winning is not about external rewards or worldly success, but about union, peace, and fullness of being; at first we may seek a prize because we feel lacking, but as love and trust deepen, the need for a reward fades, since God Himself becomes enough. The "prize" matters only until desire is satisfied—then it dissolves into a quiet, lived reality where meaning, hope, and rest are already present, even in ordinary moments, and life is no longer about winning or losing, but about being held.

Think of it this way: A prize is something you chase because you lack. God is someone you rest in because you are full. If you love God only for a reward, the reward still matters. If you love God for God, the reward becomes irrelevant—or rather, it is already present. I like that. Unconditional love. God is enough for us. At this point winning does not matter and the prize does not matter. God alone matters and our relationship with God is worth it all.

When we ask about the cost with God, we often imagine a price to be paid, but God does not trade love for performance or demand suffering to earn favor. The only "cost" is surrender—the gradual letting go of control, false measures of worth, and lesser prizes in order to trust more deeply. Though this can feel heavy, it does not diminish us; it frees us, leaving not an earned reward but a life rooted in grace and a relationship with God that is quiet, sustaining, and enough.

I would like to think that the cost is free. Free will to choose God. It costs us nothing to turn to God. And that is the real definition of freedom. The cost with God is free, because turning to God requires no payment, sacrifice, or qualification—only the free will to choose Him. This choice is true freedom: an invitation, not a transaction, where love and grace are given without condition. Any later surrender or letting go is not an entry price, but the natural unfolding of love after the choice has already been made. God made the choice easy for us because He is a merciful God. So it is not winning or losing or a prize or a price but a choice that is free and brings us freedom and within the hold of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...