Skip to main content

Sandy beaches

This is a chapter from my latest book called Breezes of Tobago.

This story begins on a cool Friday evening in May. Fridays are the best days. Already a great start. It had rained earlier in the day and the clouds were moving away and the sun peeking through. I walked from the apartment where I was staying to Pigeon Point beach. Along the way I stopped for coconut water freshly extracted from the nut and straight into my mouth leaving traces on my cotton jersey. They say that coconut water is the drink of God—fresh from the nut, sweet with a hint of salt, a liquid reminder that paradise can exist in small and simple things. They did not say that but my friend Chatty did. It is my friend Chatty's first trip to Tobago. I asked him what he thinks of Tobago so far?

He grinned, wiping a drop of coconut water from the corner of his mouth. "Man… it is like stepping into a painting. The air, the colors, the way everything smells after the rain—it is unreal. I did not know paradise came with a soundtrack of waves and wind." I agree, my friend. I agree. Ride the waves of happiness and let the wind do the talking. Chatty laughed, tossing his hands up to catch the breeze. "Ride the waves of happiness, huh? I like that. Let the wind do the talking… I think the wind just whispered something about staying a little longer." It is true what they say and it is really they talking this time, when you come to Tobago you never want to leave. Whoever thinks of leaving paradise? We would be foolish to think that way.

We passed by the craft vendors and in the distance we could see a few small yachts anchored. Closer to Pigeon Point we passed the fishermen and their pirogues nicely tucked away in the calm waters. A snow cone vendor passed us on bicycle with his small player playing a remix of "knocking on heaven's door". We paid our money and we were now inside the Pigeon Point beach facility. We had a choice between sharing the winding paved road with vehicles or getting the sand between our toes through the sandy shores, to continue our journey. We passed under the coconut trees and chose the beach front view. Be careful of the falling nuts they say. My friend Chatty says that this surely beats the humdrum of his job talking to the servers all day.

We met a couple who were vacationing from England and we shared a table with them, sitting on the opposite bench to them. They said I was lucky to be enjoying warm weather all year. We live where they vacation. They said they were waiting for the sunset and that the experience so far has been better than what they had seen online and read about. They asked for some food recommendations for dinner and I suggested La Cantina pizza and especially the Melanzani or baigan pizza as I call it. Time passed and the sunset came and went and it was getting close to leaving time. We chatted some more with the couple only to be interrupted by their ringing phone. It was the taxi driver. We shared good byes and they darted to the front to be shuttled away to their next stop. My friend Chatty then noticed that the lady had left the book she was reading titled "Breezes of Tobago". I gave it to the security guard to keep for them if they ever tried to return for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...