Skip to main content

Journey within

This is a chapter from my latest book called Breezes of Tobago.

I have been thinking. God is like the air we breathe, ever-present and essential, and like the breeze, we cannot see Him, but we feel His presence all around us. Today I am heading to Charlotteville on the 8am bus. I bought my tickets and some extra. I have been on this journey before but this time feels different. I expect a full bus this time as the bus shelter is crowded. An old man with glasses, hat and walking stick dropped his ticket and the breeze blew it away before it could drop to the ground. I rushed to retrieve the ticket for him. The bus was here and I was seated next to the same old man. He was in a talkative mood while at the same time taking his time with his words. The first thing he said to me was, "Life is a journey that begins within you long before the road ever unfolds."

I think I get it. This means that life's journey does not begin with movement — it begins with intention. Before the bus moves, before the road curves, before anything changes outwardly, something shifts inside you first — a decision, a feeling, a readiness. That inner shift is the true beginning. So the old man is saying that life is not just about where you go physically. It is about the quiet changes happening within you along the way. The outer journey is visible; the inner journey is the real one. And maybe this trip feels different because something inside me has already begun to change. I asked the old man for some life advice and he had much to say.

Do not take things personally. Everyone is fighting battles you cannot see. Put your trust in God. Drink a glass of water when you wake up. Walk every day. The journey of success is full of failures. Those were among the advice he had for me. He laughed at how the breeze blew his ticket away. He said we can learn from the breeze. Be gentle enough to bring comfort, but strong enough to keep moving no matter what stands in your way. The breeze does not argue with the mountain; it simply finds its way around it. It does not announce its strength, yet over time it shapes coastlines and cools restless skin. Sometimes it carries things away, and sometimes it returns what was almost lost. In the same way, this journey called life will test you with resistance and uncertainty, but you must learn when to move softly and when to persist. Let your presence calm others, let your faith anchor you, and let your steps remain steady even when the road bends out of sight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...