Skip to main content

God is bigger

It is 140am and I have decided to write. I hear some rain outside. It is the second morning of Ramadan here in Trinidad. It is Friday. Life is beautiful. This does not mean it is perfect or without problems but it means we choose to see the beauty despite it all. I have been exercising and eating healthier since the beginning of the year. I want to become fit and strong. I saw something on fb and it has me thinking. It says, God is bigger than all our problems. But what does this mean? Is this another way of saying God can fix all things? All things are in God's hands? Let go and let God?

My friend Chatty tells me that when someone says "God is bigger than your problems" they are usually saying that your perspective is currently limited, but God's is not. Imagine you are an ant on a beautiful Persian rug. You might be standing on a patch of dark, messy-looking thread and think, "This rug is ugly and dark." But God is the weaver looking at the whole rug from above, seeing how that dark thread is necessary to make the gold pattern pop. I get it. It is about seeing the bigger picture and putting things into perspective. It is about focusing on what truly matters. It is about the strength to overcome through God. Again, life is beautiful after all.

"God is bigger" is not a magic trick to make the dark threads disappear; it is the assurance that the dark threads are not a mistake. In my journey to become fit and strong, I will have days where my body ache or my energy is low or my motivation is lacking. In those moments, I am standing on a "dark thread." But when I zoom out, I see that the ache is actually the strength building. The discipline is the "gold" being woven into my character. I just noticed that "God is bigger" said in reverse is "Bigger is God" which forms the acronym BIG. How poetic. I went looking to see if Gib is an Arabic word and I found Ghayb that ties in nicely with all of this and it starts with G and ends with b also and may be pronounced Gib in some dialects.

In Islam, Ghayb represents the "Unseen"—the vast, divine reality that remains hidden from our limited human perception. This concept perfectly completes my BIG philosophy: while we struggle with the "dark threads" of our daily problems, we are called to have faith in the beauty of the pattern we cannot yet see. By recognizing that Bigger Is God, I am choosing to trust the Weaver of the Ghayb, finding the strength to stay disciplined in my fitness and faith journey (I like how the word fit is contained in the word faith) even when the ultimate "gold" (goal could work here also) of my transformation is still tucked away in the future. I see God in the word go-l-d. Which reminds me of something I came across yesterday, "People generally see what they look for and hear what they listen for." Life is beautiful not because every thread shines, but because the Weaver does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...