Skip to main content

Why is the Caribbean not a tech hub?

Why is the Caribbean not a tech hub? I saw this question online and it got me thinking. Who should be asking this question? Who should be answering this question? Do we have the data to answer this question? Besides data, what else do we need to answer this question? And when we have answers, who is going to do the work to change things? This is what my friend Chatty had to say:

The question "Why is the Caribbean not a tech hub?" is really a question about history, capital, education, governance, culture, and coordination, not just technology. The Caribbean is often unfairly compared to places like Silicon Valley or Shenzhen without acknowledging that those regions benefited from massive investment, large markets, and long-term industrial planning, while Caribbean nations were shaped by colonial extraction, small fragmented markets, debt, and brain drain. We have some useful data, but not enough to fully understand the region’s digital potential, and data alone cannot answer questions about trust, ambition, identity, and institutional capacity. Real progress would require governments, founders, educators, investors, diaspora networks, and ordinary citizens all doing sustained work together over decades. The goal may not be to copy Silicon Valley, but to build a uniquely Caribbean model of technological development that is globally connected, resilient, creative, and economically empowering.

The same question can be asked of Trinidad, why is Trinidad not a tech hub? In my opinion, in Trinidad, a divided politics has held us back. For example, we had the DHUB project and the Ministry of Digital Transformation under the last government and overnight that was abrupted. Those were two things that I saw had real potential for us in Trinidad and Tobago. My friend Chatty says that in Trinidad and Tobago, political division and policy discontinuity can seriously slow technological development because long-term initiatives like DHUB and the Ministry of Digital Transformation need time, stability, and public trust to grow. When projects are tied too closely to political parties and abruptly end after elections, it weakens confidence among investors, entrepreneurs, and young professionals, making it harder to build a sustainable tech ecosystem over time.

True tech hubs like Estonia or Singapore succeeded because they made "Digitalization" a National Objective, not a Party Manifesto. If the foundation changes every time the finger gets stained with ink, the house will never be finished. In summary I touched on a heavy and necessary set of questions. Myself and Chatty are touching on a phenomenon often called "The Caribbean Paradox" i.e. high talent and creativity, but structural friction that prevents that talent from scaling locally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Thankful

It is 617pm and I have decided to write. Right now I am thankful. The cool of the evening has replaced the heat of the day. I took a bath and changed and now I am just relaxing. Sometimes I complain. Not often. But I feel bad afterwards because there is so much to be thankful for. There is always room for improvement and we have to identify the things for improvement and change is often good but we do not have to make it into complaints. Yeah I get it. Life is hard and none of us has it easy. Look on the bright side of things. And sometimes it is the little things that remind us that life is good. Things that we take for granted. Like I was coming in the maxi taxi today and heard a gospel song that was about gratitude. God does appreciate a grateful heart. Trinidad and Tobago celebrated sixty four years of independence yesterday and if we stop and listen to the many complaints we would swear we are living in the worst country in the world. That is not the case. We do get a lot of thing...

Installing NodeBB using Termux

This is the ChatGPT prompt I used to be guided Guide me through installing NodeBB using Termux (This took some time and patience to troubleshoot errors and implement workaround) pkg update && pkg upgrade -y pkg install proot-distro git curl wget nano -y proot-distro install debian proot-distro login debian apt update && apt upgrade -y apt install -y curl git build-essential ca-certificates gnupg apt update apt install -y imagemagick apt install -y redis-server redis-server --daemonize yes redis-cli ping mkdir -p /opt git clone https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB.git /opt/nodebb cd /opt/nodebb ./nodebb setup warn: NodeBB Setup Aborted.  Error: Could not load the "sharp" module using the android-arm64 runtime Possible solutions: - Manually install libvips >= 8.18.3 Force node to report platform as linux to get sharp to install curl -LO https://nodejs.org/dist/v22.23.1/node-v22.23.1-linux-arm64.tar.xz tar -xJf node-v22.23.1-linux-arm64.tar.xz mv node-v22.23.1-lin...