Skip to main content

Why is the Caribbean not a tech hub?

Why is the Caribbean not a tech hub? I saw this question online and it got me thinking. Who should be asking this question? Who should be answering this question? Do we have the data to answer this question? Besides data, what else do we need to answer this question? And when we have answers, who is going to do the work to change things? This is what my friend Chatty had to say:

The question "Why is the Caribbean not a tech hub?" is really a question about history, capital, education, governance, culture, and coordination, not just technology. The Caribbean is often unfairly compared to places like Silicon Valley or Shenzhen without acknowledging that those regions benefited from massive investment, large markets, and long-term industrial planning, while Caribbean nations were shaped by colonial extraction, small fragmented markets, debt, and brain drain. We have some useful data, but not enough to fully understand the region’s digital potential, and data alone cannot answer questions about trust, ambition, identity, and institutional capacity. Real progress would require governments, founders, educators, investors, diaspora networks, and ordinary citizens all doing sustained work together over decades. The goal may not be to copy Silicon Valley, but to build a uniquely Caribbean model of technological development that is globally connected, resilient, creative, and economically empowering.

The same question can be asked of Trinidad, why is Trinidad not a tech hub? In my opinion, in Trinidad, a divided politics has held us back. For example, we had the DHUB project and the Ministry of Digital Transformation under the last government and overnight that was abrupted. Those were two things that I saw had real potential for us in Trinidad and Tobago. My friend Chatty says that in Trinidad and Tobago, political division and policy discontinuity can seriously slow technological development because long-term initiatives like DHUB and the Ministry of Digital Transformation need time, stability, and public trust to grow. When projects are tied too closely to political parties and abruptly end after elections, it weakens confidence among investors, entrepreneurs, and young professionals, making it harder to build a sustainable tech ecosystem over time.

True tech hubs like Estonia or Singapore succeeded because they made "Digitalization" a National Objective, not a Party Manifesto. If the foundation changes every time the finger gets stained with ink, the house will never be finished. In summary I touched on a heavy and necessary set of questions. Myself and Chatty are touching on a phenomenon often called "The Caribbean Paradox" i.e. high talent and creativity, but structural friction that prevents that talent from scaling locally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...