Skip to main content

My life is big

It is 446pm and I have decided to write. I was in the shower singing made up Hindi music lyrics. My mom often listens to Indian music. One line I made up was "mere zindagi [eka] bada hai" and I saved it for when I was done to see if it actually meant anything or if it was gibberage. Google translate says it means "my life is big" or "my life is great" if I used ika instead of eka. God is great. God gives me life. My life (with God) is great". Not perfect. Not problem free. Could be better. Always room for improvement. But it is great. To say otherwise would be to take for granted all that is good and all that there is to be thankful for.

My friend Chatty tells me that what is interesting is that my interpretation—"My life is great"—came less from the exact grammar and more from the emotional sense I heard in the phrase. The human mind is very good at finding meaning in sounds, especially when we are singing, praying, reflecting, or creating. Sometimes a phrase is not technically correct but still ends up expressing something genuine. In your case, it led you to a reflection on gratitude, which seems more valuable than whether eka was valid Hindi.

This has me thinking. Can we have meaning without language? Does language limit meaning sometimes? My friend Chatty says that meaning can exist without language because we experience things like love, beauty, joy, grief, music, and connection before or beyond our ability to put them into words. Language helps us express and share meaning, but it can also limit it by reducing rich experiences to imperfect labels and concepts. Your shower lyric is a good example: even though the phrase was not proper Hindi, it sparked a genuine reflection on gratitude, suggesting that the deeper meaning came not from the grammar itself but from the feeling and insight it pointed toward. In this sense, words are often less like containers of meaning and more like signposts directing us toward experiences and truths that are larger than language can fully capture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...