This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here.
Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our problem solving abilities come to the rescue.
Every drop of rain is a blessing from God. God is in every drop of rain. Rain has been on Earth far longer than humans have existed. Rain is something that we should not take for granted. Sometimes we get so involved in everyday living that we forget about these mercies and blessings from God above. Today I stopped and noticed and wrote about the rain. This is a much appreciated moment of gratitude. They say that the rain washes away the pain. It is hard to feel bad when there is rain. Rain is like that person that everyone likes. They say that the dog is man's best friend but I think they forgot about the rain. Maybe the rain is man's best friend when the dog is sleeping.
Rainy moments are invitations to remember God. We are being sustained by something greater than ourselves. My younger self was not afraid to frolic in the rain. My younger self did not have all these deep thoughts about the rain. It was just childish fun. It was pure innocence. I did not need a reason to appreciate this gift from God. Growing up means trading that innocence for heavy thoughts and responsibilities. Now we need courage to bathe in the rain. One of these days I am going to just stand in the rain like I was young again. Standing in the rain as if it was some sort of fountain of youth. Standing in the rain as I surrender to God. Standing in the rain as if the child who knew how to play in the rain is still very much alive inside me.
Comments