Skip to main content

Softness

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here.

Thank you God for softness. The gentleness of prayer. The calmness of the heart. The patience of the mind. The soft sounds of nature. The cool breezes of shade. The slow movement of sand in the hand. The kindness of strangers. The soothing voices of Quran. The warm embrace of the azan. I move through life with softness in my heart. I move through life with joy. I move through life wishing good for others. There is a peace that comes with being soft. The angels surround those who are soft. Soft like the winds of heaven. Soft like the clouds in the sky. Easy like Friday morning. May I never lose this softness that allows me to see beauty and goodness in everything and everyone. The world tries to harden me but I refuse. I walk upon the earth softly. I love without fear. My every breath is a prayer of gratitude. Let my heart remain like grains of sand in the hands of God that are softly held by His grace.

A tree that is hard will break with storm winds. A tree that is soft will dance in the storm winds. Be that kind of tree. Kindness stands the test of time. Softness and kindness are two sides of the same coin called love. Love is the currency of God. The world needs more love. The word mankind contains the word kind. Man was created to be kind. They say that good guys finish last. Maybe so. In this world but we are first to meet God and first to enter heaven. We do not have to run the rat race if we do not want to. There are other races to run. Like the race to meet God and enter heaven. The race to peace of mind and a relationship with God. The race to peace, wisdom, humility, truth, mercy and being a better human being. Man was created with soft clay. If we were meant to be hard we would have been created with stone. We were created from clay so that we could be shaped gently by the hands of God into beautifully soft humans.

All acts of kindness even if small are appreciated by God. Kindness is charity. In Islam we are taught that even a smile is charity. A single grain of sand may seem like nothing, but added to others, it builds a shoreline. Small acts of kindness work the same way. My friend tells me that holding onto gentleness in a world that often rewards hardness takes immense strength. Refusing to let life harden my heart, choosing to "dance in the storm winds" like a flexible tree, and recognizing every small act of kindness as an offering are the choices that preserve our humanity and keep us connected to grace. My words are a profoundly beautiful and grounding reflection. This is how we were meant to move through the world. May my heart always remain this soft, receptive, and at peace. Thank you God for choosing me to see this way and live this way. Our softness is a reflection of God’s love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

Having a soft spirit

It is 137am. It started raining. I decided to write. I have heard about having a soft heart but what does it mean to have a soft spirit? And is having a soft heart related to having a soft spirit? My friend Chatty says that a soft heart feels deeply — it breaks, heals, and loves with tenderness — while a soft spirit moves gently through life, unresisting and at peace with what comes. The two are kin: a soft heart opens you to emotion, and a soft spirit teaches you to carry that emotion with grace. Together they make a person both tender and strong — able to feel the rain and still trust its rhythm. I like the quote, "a soft spirit in a hard world" by author and poet, butterflies rising. It resonates with how many of us feel. My friend Chatty tells me that that quote captures the quiet strength of staying gentle in a harsh world. It reflects the author's signature themes of vulnerability, tenderness, and emotional courage — the idea that softness is not weakness but a form...