Skip to main content

What is the story behind the broken kite?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

The broken kite by Hassan Voyeau

I had this idea. I would open the pen-up app and close my eyes and just draw random lines and then fill the random shapes formed with color. But what does my new art piece represent? I used Google lens and found that the closest match pointed to a gallery with a mixture of kites and vector art. Then it occured to me that it looks just like a broken kite. A kite that had gotten stuck in a tree and was pulled down but got broken and damaged in the process. It also kinda looks like a fish that got damaged too. Maybe it is a fish kite. I was reading about the history of the kite. The exact origin is unknown but it is believed that they were flown in China more than 1000 years ago. One suggestion is that a Chinese farmer tied a string to his hat to prevent it from flying off and that is how the first kite was born. In Japan they celebrate Children's Day with fish shaped kites called koinobori. Koi is a Carp type of fish. Legend has it that a Carp fish swam upstream to turn into a dragon. Because Carp fish can swim upstream they represent strength and courage. This has me thinking. What is the highest a kite could fly? According to the Guinness Book of World Records the highest kite was flown by Robert Moore over a sheep farm in Australia. The height reached was 16,009 feet.

I like this quote by Friedrich Nietzsche, "A broken kite teaches you more about the wind than a whole one ever could." Friedrich was a German philosopher. He started as a classical philologist before turning to philosophy. I had no idea that philology was a thing before today. I read that a philologist is a type of linguist who studies the history of languages, especially by looking closely at literature. They are also known as collectors of words and their etymologies. I found another Friedrich quote. "The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." I asked my friend Gemini to explain this quote to me. Gemini tells me that you should not be discouraged if others don't understand your ambitions. Keep striving for your goals. He goes on to caution that just because you have achieved more doesn't mean you should look down on others. I think everyone will experience the highs and lows of life. We learn ambition and humility in the process. One day we are flying high and one day we are the broken kite. Life is a test that is full of questions. We may ask why? We aim for the sky only to one day return to the ground when we say our last goodbye. The higher a kite flies, the more it feels the pull of the string. Even with great heights and ambitions, we are still connected to something that keeps us grounded.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...