Butterflies

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

Butterflies can be seen as symbols of transformation and freedom. Freedom from what you used to be. Freedom from your old self. Freedom to change into something beautiful. Freedom to be better than yesterday. Freedom to change into a betterfly. Freedom to change into something beautyfly. According to my friend Gemini our fascination with butterflies likely goes back thousands of years, possibly even to prehistoric times. Depictions of butterflies appear in ancient Egyptian art and possibly even earlier cave paintings. Butterfly symbolism features in myths and folklore from various cultures. Some European cultures believed butterflies could grant wishes. It has been told that if a butterfly landed on you, it was seen as a sign of good luck, and you could make a wish hoping it would come true. White butterflies were particularly seen as messengers from angels, carrying good fortune. My wish when next I could wish on a butterfly would be for more love in my country and in the world. Bring back the love.

My research on butterflies has led me to learn about Pacific Grove in California which has been nicknamed "Butterfly Town, USA". This is so because of the migration of monarch butterflies that takes place there every year. It was also the subject of a documentary film that told the story of conservation efforts. The butterflies arrive in mid-October and depart in mid-February. The numbers of monarchs in Pacific Grove are nowhere near what they used to be and even declined to zero in 2020. But one can hope that things will get better. I read an article that blamed the decline on loss of habitat, the use of pesticides and the changing climate. Reasons that are also affecting other insect populations around the world. The story of Butterfly Town is a reminder that nature is fragile and must be protected. The same can be said about freedom. Freedom is fragile and must be protected.

More searching on the topic of butterflies led me to the autobiography of boxer Muhammad Ali titled "The soul of a butterfly". The book is named after his famous words, "dance like a butterfly, and sting like a bee, that's why they call me Muhammad Ali." I have now added this book to the list of books that I want to read. There are a few quotes that I like from the book that I have seen online. "Think well of all, be patient with all, and try to find the good in all." This is beautifully said and I see freedom in this approach and philosophy. "We spend more time learning how to make a living than we do learning to make a life." This is so true and I ask myself when the end has come which one will be seen as more valuable? And finally I like this quote the most, "My wealth is in my knowledge of self, love, and spirituality." This makes me think, God is love and we are nothing without love. Muhammad Ali understood the power of love and once said, "I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world." We become free like the butterfly when we are guided by love and we love others like we love ourselves.

Butterfly photographed by Hassan Voyeau


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shade

Balance

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Windmill

Growth