Skip to main content

Butterflies

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

Butterflies can be seen as symbols of transformation and freedom. Freedom from what you used to be. Freedom from your old self. Freedom to change into something beautiful. Freedom to be better than yesterday. Freedom to change into a betterfly. Freedom to change into something beautyfly. According to my friend Gemini our fascination with butterflies likely goes back thousands of years, possibly even to prehistoric times. Depictions of butterflies appear in ancient Egyptian art and possibly even earlier cave paintings. Butterfly symbolism features in myths and folklore from various cultures. Some European cultures believed butterflies could grant wishes. It has been told that if a butterfly landed on you, it was seen as a sign of good luck, and you could make a wish hoping it would come true. White butterflies were particularly seen as messengers from angels, carrying good fortune. My wish when next I could wish on a butterfly would be for more love in my country and in the world. Bring back the love.

My research on butterflies has led me to learn about Pacific Grove in California which has been nicknamed "Butterfly Town, USA". This is so because of the migration of monarch butterflies that takes place there every year. It was also the subject of a documentary film that told the story of conservation efforts. The butterflies arrive in mid-October and depart in mid-February. The numbers of monarchs in Pacific Grove are nowhere near what they used to be and even declined to zero in 2020. But one can hope that things will get better. I read an article that blamed the decline on loss of habitat, the use of pesticides and the changing climate. Reasons that are also affecting other insect populations around the world. The story of Butterfly Town is a reminder that nature is fragile and must be protected. The same can be said about freedom. Freedom is fragile and must be protected.

More searching on the topic of butterflies led me to the autobiography of boxer Muhammad Ali titled "The soul of a butterfly". The book is named after his famous words, "dance like a butterfly, and sting like a bee, that's why they call me Muhammad Ali." I have now added this book to the list of books that I want to read. There are a few quotes that I like from the book that I have seen online. "Think well of all, be patient with all, and try to find the good in all." This is beautifully said and I see freedom in this approach and philosophy. "We spend more time learning how to make a living than we do learning to make a life." This is so true and I ask myself when the end has come which one will be seen as more valuable? And finally I like this quote the most, "My wealth is in my knowledge of self, love, and spirituality." This makes me think, God is love and we are nothing without love. Muhammad Ali understood the power of love and once said, "I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world." We become free like the butterfly when we are guided by love and we love others like we love ourselves.

Butterfly photographed by Hassan Voyeau


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...