Skip to main content

Grounded

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


It is early Sunday morning. I seem to have taken a liking to writing on weekends. Maybe because weekends, especially Sunday, carry a sentiment of boredom. Writing being a sort of cure for boredom. The grass in my yard was freshly cut yesterday. I woke up with this idea to take a photo of the grass at ground level. This is a matter of perspective. The title I had in mind was grounded. We are often told that we should remain grounded. I notice that grounded contains rounded. I want to be an all rounded photographer. I want to be an all rounded person. My friend Chatty tells me that that is a great aspiration! Being an "all-rounded" photographer or person means developing skills and knowledge in various areas. For photography, it might involve mastering different styles, techniques, and subjects. For personal growth, it could mean exploring diverse interests, improving various skills, and nurturing different aspects of my life.

If I extract God from Grounded, I am left with the word runed. After seeing this I want to say that we need God to remain grounded. My friend Gemini tells me that runed refers to objects or symbols inscribed with runes, ancient Germanic alphabets used for writing and divination. These inscriptions often carried cultural, magical, or spiritual significance and can be found on various artifacts, from stones to tattoos. I think runes look cool and probably have fascinating stories to tell even though I do not know much about them and the history. Runes come from a world of paganism and magic and preceded modern day religions. Can we fault the vikings for their beliefs and way of life that conflicts with our own? I mean if we were born during that time we would have likely adopted that way of life.

I have a tech background and runes make me think of the history behind the Bluetooth word and symbol. My friend Gemini tells me that the name "Bluetooth" was inspired by a 10th-century Danish king named Harald Bluetooth, who united Denmark and Norway. Bluetooth's symbol, a combination of two intertwined runes, represents the initials of Harald's name in Old Norse. I spent a short time researching runes and learning about the Muslims and Vikings. I tried Googling to see if Trinidad has any links to the vikings but left with only the viking of soca, Bunji Garlin. I read that the viking of soca title was given to him by a Swedish radio announcer. Bunji says that it stuck and that it fits with his street style and aggressive approach.

If there is a viking of soca, surely there would be a viking of photography? My friend Gemini thinks that David Yarrow would be the viking of photography. I could not determine if this was an accepted truth or not but I did find out that he did do a photoshoot with Erling Haaland for charity. ESPN wrote, "Man City's Haaland unleashes his inner Viking in photoshoot". Erling has Nordic ancestry. In one of his stories Erling showed himself doing grounding for football recovery with his bare feet on the grass. My friend Gemini tells me that grounding involves walking barefoot on the earth, to reduce inflammation, improve sleep, alleviate pain, and enhance energy levels. It's a recovery method believed to connect with the earth's natural electrical charge.

We come from the earth and we eventually return to the earth. It is important to keep this in mind and remain rooted and grounded in humility, kindness and love. I read about grounding, also known as earthing, and how it can be linked to Islam and prostration (or sajdah). I want to share something I found online from a sermon (or khutbah) and that reminds me of the power of prayer and how it relates to remaining grounded. "We are making sujood, prostrating, submitting body, mind and soul to Allah’s service. As our foreheads touch the ground, we bring the highest, noblest part of our body down to earth, and Allah raises our status beyond the angels when we do so. When we make sajda, we can become like lightning rods connecting heaven and earth, time-space and eternity."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...