Skip to main content

Corny

This is a chapter from my eight book called Learn to live

The start of another book. This book is called "Learn to live" where each chapter is centered around a new and interesting thing that I learnt that day. I love learning as much as I love writing. I was always good at learning and being curious. I love that the more you live, the more you learn. It is impossible to know and learn everything. It is an unending pursuit. You can never get bored of learning new things. I find myself reflecting on the nature of curiosity. It struck me how essential it is to the learning process. Curiosity isn't just a spark. It is a flame that drives us to explore the world. I like this quote by Albert Einstein, "I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." This resonated deeply with me.

Have you ever wondered why it is called corned beef or did you just assume it was made with corn? I find this interesting because the answer surprised me. Not only that but I have lived so long only to learn this today. I asked my friend Gemini to give me some wrong answers only. One is that the beef comes from a special breed of corn-fed cows. Another is that it is named after the corn-colored brine that is used to cure the meat. How about it being named after the ancient Celtic practice of "corning" which involves wrapping the meat in corn husks before cooking.

Well actually, corned beef gets its name from the large grains of salt or "corns" (as they were called back then) used to cure the meat. I read that the term "corn" comes from the Germanic word kurnam, which means "small seed". The curing process, which involves soaking the beef in a brine solution, preserves the meat and gives it its distinctive flavor. The use of corn as a word for grains predates its use for naming maize. My friend Chatty tells me that corned beef became particularly popular in Irish cuisine by the 17th century and was embraced by Irish immigrants in America, often served with cabbage. By the 19th century, it became a staple dish associated with St. Patrick's Day, solidifying its place in both Irish and American culinary traditions. My friend Gemini tells me that the pink color of corned beef often comes from nitrates or nitrites added during the curing process. However, traditionally, corned beef was a natural gray color. The pink hue is a more modern addition.

Here is a corny joke. What happens if you eat too much corned beef? You get cornstipated. So while there is no corn in corned beef I would love to try some dishes with corn and beef together. Dishes like Mexican street corn with crumbled cotija cheese and grilled skirt steak, creamy corn chowder with chunks of tender beef, or a hearty beef and corn skillet with potatoes and peppers. Thinking about it, peppercorn is named the same way. Corn as in grain and "peppercorn" essentially means a small, rounded fruit of the pepper plant. Did you know that you can make homemade corn beef? I imagine that tastes plenty better as you use the better ingredients. So corned beef could have been called salted beef. Maybe corny jokes are really salty jokes in disguise. I read that a salty joke has a bit of bite—often edgy, sarcastic, or slightly offensive. No joke, but I found out that a scientist found a way to make a salt alternative from corn. That is an amaizing discovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...