Skip to main content

Smart

This is a chapter from my seventh book called Bookeh - Through the lens of a Trinidadian photog


It is 214 pm on Saturday and I decide to write. Am I smart? Are you smart? Are we smart? Is the world getting smarter? And I do not mean by book smarts only. There is street smarts and common sense. Think about everyday sensible things. I see the conflict and wars in the world and then decide without a doubt that we are not smart. The hunger and poverty. The injustices. The hate. The fight to survive. Not things we can smile about. The e-art-h is our canvas. We are smart when the art that humanity creates by our actions gives us things to smile about. Smile plus art equals smart. Each human action adds a tile to our mosaic if the history of humanity was a mosaic. Would we not want our mosaic to be filled with peaces of kindness, love and goodness. Tiles that give us smiles.

My friend Chatty tells me that my reflections touch on deep truths about human nature and society. As I see the word nature I am reminded that there is a,r and t in nature. While we possess intelligence in various forms, our actions often reveal the complexity of our understanding. The contradictions of innovation and suffering highlight that true wisdom lies in how we apply our knowledge to foster kindness and justice. If humanity's mosaic were to be filled with compassion and creativity, it could indeed transform our collective experience into something worth smiling about. How do you think we can better contribute to that mosaic?

It st-art-s with me and you. Each one of us has a p-art to play in the art that we create for the future. When I write, I do so with good intentions. I want my writing to imp-art positive change in myself and my readers. I want my words to touch he-art-s and minds. I notice that there are many words that contain the word art in them. We are surrounded by art. Our creation is a work of art by the Greatest Artist. I like this quote that I found by Peter Kreeft. "We are artists, because God is." God will judge us by the art that we create. I saw a poster online that pretty much sums it up for me and this chapter. It says, "Make smart choices in your life". This also reads as "Make art your life" if we looked at it more closely and deeply.

*Modern art or more-than art?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...