Skip to main content

What does it mean to be a muslim (for me)?

It is Ramadan and I am asking myself this question. To me being a muslim is about finding myself. Finding my place in this world. Finding my purpose. It is about doing good. It is about following the examples of the prophet (saw) and the messages of the Quran. It is about improving and aiming to be a better person everyday. I am not perfect and I am broken in some ways but I found peace in my religion, in God and in the promise of heaven for good deeds that outweigh bad deeds. Islam for me is about believing in something that feels good to me. It is about following the straight path. The path of guidance and mercy. I am not in a position to argue which religion is correct and whether God is real but I can share what I believe and what feels good to me and what works for me. They say Islam chooses you and I believe that.

Life's journey comes with ups and downs. I struggle just like you. I struggle like everyone else. But I feel that with a guiding hand that is Islam and Allah and Quran and everything else that is part of being Muslim, the journey will be worth it. The truth (I think) is that none of us knows the full but we believe. Believing in God feels right to me. It is the glue that keeps me together. It is the source of the love in my heart. He is my creator. He is the Most High. I believe life is a test. I do not know why. I have not found that answer. One day it will make sense or maybe not but for now I believe. Maybe we all should have been sent to heaven directly without a test but then we will still probably question that. I think no matter how God creates us and where he places us as long as we have reason and can ask questions, we will. The alternative is to exist without reason. Can there be existence without reason? So maybe that is it? We are given free will and tested so that when we ask of God, why did You, he can turn to us and ask us, why did you.

This reminds me of something I had written before. "Why does God allow hunger, poverty, war, etc.? What if God asked us the same question? There is enough money, resources, knowledge, good people, smart people to solve our problems. Why do we allow it?" Reasoning and asking questions is the very nature of existence. I do not think there can be existence without questions and answers without testing. Maybe the ultimate question is do we prefer no existence or existence? And we could not answer this question without there being existence. So here we are, existing. This reminds me of what I have written on my about page. "I am exploring and learning everyday. Life is a test and there are so many questions." So maybe that is it in summary. To me, to be muslim is to be human and to be human is to be tested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...