Skip to main content

Burn to learn

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks.

__________

"The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch
__________

I deliberately chose this as my first quote because it relates to the idea behind this book and the effect quotes have on us. What is the meaning of kindle? To kindle means to start a fire or to arouse or inspire a feeling or idea. Does that mean we have to be careful of what we feed our mind? Is there such a thing as a good fire and a bad fire? Some fires can indeed be toxic like the burning of tyres. I am thinking a good fire is like a campfire with marshmallows roasting and singing kumbaya. A bad fire would be if we allowed it to spread and cause a forest fire that burned the village down. Hopefully our bad singing causes the rain to fall and out the fire before that happens.

The other aspect of this quote is that we do not just seek knowledge, we must act on that knowledge. We must process what we learn. We must create new knowledge. We sometimes have to discard old ways of thinking and doing things that are not helpful. We have to burn bridges so to speak. What useful things does a fire produce? It produces light. In the olden days that is all the light they had. That and the moon and the sun. Light is like wisdom. Light is like ... there is a word at the back of mind that I am struggling to bring forth ... ah yes ... enlightenment. What about the idiom, burn to learn? Normally this means pain as a teacher, failure as fuel, and adversity as the spark for growth. But Plutarch's quote has me imagining "burn to learn" differently. That is the beauty of quotes. That is the beauty of thought. That is the beauty of imagination. There does not have to be a fire for me to see or feel a fire.

I wonder if any of this has anything to do with the naming of the Amazon Kindle. My friend Gemini tells me that yes, "Kindle" was chosen as it means to ignite a fire, metaphorically representing how reading sparks imagination, knowledge, and a passion for learning in the mind. I think our education system needs to be overhauled with this thinking in mind. An education system that teaches us how to think. How to be lifelong learners. Look how easily "burn to learn" becomes "born to learn". How to be a good human. We need to move away from an education system that focuses on competition and memorisation (filling our memory) for passing exams and getting high paying jobs (filling our pockets). We are not meant to be robots in a broken system of profits that does not care about us. Those who benefit from this do not want us to realise this. We need a focus on love and kindness for the betterment of humanity. We need to ignite generations inspired by doing good and inspired by God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Failure

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for failure. Thank you for the good days and the bad days. Thank you for the journey. There are no failures, only lessons learnt. Better to try and fail than fail to try. For this chapter I made a bunch of notes and pieced them together. If mosaic was a style of writing, this would be it for me. Weirdly enough I am not afraid of failure as much as I am afraid of success. I want to live an ordinary and simple life. Much of what society deems as success is really the rat race. I guess I do not have a problem with success but the mainstream definitions of success. What does failure teach us? Failure teaches us to never give up because success can be right around the corner. Define your own definition of success. Enjoy the journey. Focus on learning. Focus on gaining experience. Focus on becoming wise. Today I learnt how a pearl is formed. A pearl forms when an oyster responds...

Wisdom

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for wisdom. Age brings wisdom. At least it should. Everyday we are learning. Everyday we are growing. What is the wisest thing ever said? I think one of the wisest things ever said is something my grandfather told my mother which is, "Dont make nothing a problem." Let me digest what was meant by this. Life happens. Fix what we can. Let go of what we cannot fix. Fix what is within our control. Get help when needed. Let go and let God. There are no problems only solutions waiting to be found and lessons waiting to be learnt. Every problem has a solution. Do not look at the problem, look at the solution. Do not see the problem, see the solution. What defines the situation is not the problem but the solution. We get to choose how we react to what we face in life. They say that laughter is the best medicine. If we do not laugh we will cry. So sometimes wisdom comes wi...

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...