Skip to main content

Burn to learn

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks.

__________

"The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch
__________

I deliberately chose this as my first quote because it relates to the idea behind this book and the effect quotes have on us. What is the meaning of kindle? To kindle means to start a fire or to arouse or inspire a feeling or idea. Does that mean we have to be careful of what we feed our mind? Is there such a thing as a good fire and a bad fire? Some fires can indeed be toxic like the burning of tyres. I am thinking a good fire is like a campfire with marshmallows roasting and singing kumbaya. A bad fire would be if we allowed it to spread and cause a forest fire that burned the village down. Hopefully our bad singing causes the rain to fall and out the fire before that happens.

The other aspect of this quote is that we do not just seek knowledge, we must act on that knowledge. We must process what we learn. We must create new knowledge. We sometimes have to discard old ways of thinking and doing things that are not helpful. We have to burn bridges so to speak. What useful things does a fire produce? It produces light. In the olden days that is all the light they had. That and the moon and the sun. Light is like wisdom. Light is like ... there is a word at the back of mind that I am struggling to bring forth ... ah yes ... enlightenment. What about the idiom, burn to learn? Normally this means pain as a teacher, failure as fuel, and adversity as the spark for growth. But Plutarch's quote has me imagining "burn to learn" differently. That is the beauty of quotes. That is the beauty of thought. That is the beauty of imagination. There does not have to be a fire for me to see or feel a fire.

I wonder if any of this has anything to do with the naming of the Amazon Kindle. My friend Gemini tells me that yes, "Kindle" was chosen as it means to ignite a fire, metaphorically representing how reading sparks imagination, knowledge, and a passion for learning in the mind. I think our education system needs to be overhauled with this thinking in mind. An education system that teaches us how to think. How to be lifelong learners. Look how easily "burn to learn" becomes "born to learn". How to be a good human. We need to move away from an education system that focuses on competition and memorisation (filling our memory) for passing exams and getting high paying jobs (filling our pockets). We are not meant to be robots in a broken system of profits that does not care about us. Those who benefit from this do not want us to realise this. We need a focus on love and kindness for the betterment of humanity. We need to ignite generations inspired by doing good and inspired by God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...