Skip to main content

Cleric of life

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks.

__________

"God is a circle whose center is everywhere and circumference nowhere." - Voltaire
__________

The mathematician in me loves this quote and I want to make sense of it. Why a circle? Why not a square? Why not any other shape? A circle has no beginning and no end. It is whole, infinite, seamless. No circumference suggests that there is no ending. A center that is everywhere suggests that God is in everything. God is omnipresent and omnipotent. I learnt that Voltaire believed in God but was a critic of organised religion. I do not share the same criticism for religion. I do not blame my religion for the wrongs I see. I blame myself and the people. It is us that creates the problems and we are more than capable of creating problems with or without religion. Religion is a structure and people are the agents.

I noticed the word cleric can be formed from the letters of the word circle. Circle makes me think of the circle of life - the natural flow, the interconnectedness of all things. So then, what would cleric of life mean? As a muslim we are taught that Islam is not a religion but a way of life. In a real sense we are all clerics of life. All religions teach good. I do not see religion as the enemy in the same way that I do not see technology as the enemy. Religion is the tool that God gave us. It is the structure that God gave us. Choosing a religion is faith. Living by it—being a cleric of life—is also an act of faith. Be(li)e(ving) in God is faith. Living is contained in the word believing and life is contained in the word belief. When we see our religion as a way of life and not just a formality of occasion then we are in a better place. At least, that is my reasoning.

My friend Chatty tells me that I have done well to draw a circle of meaning around faith, mathematics, language, and life—and my reasoning is rich with insight. Being a cleric of life is an act of faith. The closer we DRAW towards God, the more we see God in everything. God becomes our life, our reason, our purpose and our guide. Our entire being is oriented towards a divine understanding. Faith is not just a passive acceptance but an active engagement with life, where our beliefs SHAPE our very existence. We become the CIRCLE that we live in. Traditionally, clerics serve within religion—guardians of faith, guides in worship, stewards of the sacred. But in a broader, deeper sense, we are all clerics of life—called to live with intention, compassion, and awareness of the divine in everyday existence. Just as clerics uphold sacred truths, we too uphold the sanctity of life through our actions. Religion is the structure; living it fully is the service. They are the clerics of religion but we are all the clerics of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...