Skip to main content

Going with the flow

This blog has a new name and tagline. Fl-o-w stands for Flow of words - sailing the ocean of thoughts. The ocean is a pretty big place and my sailboat is pretty small. Friday is my birthday. I will be forty five years old. Today I cut my hair. It is 158am. I am resting quietly in the dark of the corner of my room thinking and writing. I wanted to do more walking and more photography this year but that has not happened (as yet). There was a time I started designing logos. I like creating logos. Simple logos. I like designing stuff. I like building stuff. I love creating. I guess that makes me a creative. There are so many things I could be doing. There are so many things I want to do. There are things I need to do. Then there are things that I am doing. We cannot do it all, we have to pick and choose.

I like writing. My writing started with blogging. I have been blogging a long time. Oftentimes we are told to go with the flow. It does not make sense to fight the unfightable fight. But Elif Shafak says, "Do not go with the flow. Be the flow." I like that. Be the flow. Be the flower. Be the flovver. Be the lover. Be the lover of life. I imagine a single flower growing in the middle of the ocean. It is rooted in the ocean floor. My job is to find that flower. My job is to see the beauty in everything. My job is to be the beauty I wish to see. My job is to create beauty. My job is to write beautiful words. Why beautiful words? Because I have a choice and choose to. If I do not then that flower in the middle of the ocean fades away and never to be found.

It is 233am. An email just entered my inbox titled "creativity in unexpected places". Sometimes creativity does come from unexpected places. I did not expect to be changing the name of my blog today. I did not expect to be writing this blog post today. But here I am. My friend Gemini tells me that it is clear that I am embracing the fluidity of inspiration, navigating the vast ocean of my thoughts with my small but purposeful sailboat. I have not talked about my sailboat. I should name my sailboat. I will call it Ocean Flower. Rumi said, "You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop." This has me thinking, "I am not a flower in the ocean. I am the entire ocean in a flower." And just like that it has started raining. The rain flows where the flower grows. I wonder, if we cannot go to the ocean, the ocean comes to us in the form of rain. I like how the word shower rhymes with flower. A shower of rain for the flower that is my brain, that is the refrain of the song the ocean sings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...