Skip to main content

Looking in the mirror

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks.

__________

"In quoting others, we cite ourselves." - Julio Cortazar, Around the Day in Eighty Worlds
__________

Of course I had to include a quotation about quotations. A quotation is like looking in the mirror. It is the reflective nature of resonance. It is the human need for self-perception. If we did not have mirrors or cameras, which are really specialised mirrors, we could not see ourselves. Pieces of water like puddles or ponds are also mirrors. Mirrors found in nature. Quotations are like fishing in the pond of all the words ever spoken. Just like the fishes in the pond, quotations are good food for thought. It is true what they say, we are what we eat.

When I look in the mirror I see a human first. I see humility. I see love. I see dreams. I see purpose. I see humour. I see stories. I see a writer. I see a writer who is honing his talent. I see a writer looking for inspiration. I see a writer trying to make sense of the world around him. I see pieces of all the people and experiences who have influenced my life in one way or the other. I see a future full of hope. I see someone trying to better himself and the world we live in. I see God’s creation.

I see that writers are the mirrors of society. My friend Gemini tells me that it is important to remember that writers are not always perfect or neutral mirrors. Their own biases, beliefs, and artistic intentions can shape their reflections. Some might choose to distort or idealize aspects of society for specific purposes. That is true and also a reflection of society and science. Many times society and the people that make up society see what they want to see and choose the mirrors that suit their purpose. And then, a perfectly reflective mirror does not exist in science. Only God can be that perfect mirror I suppose. Full reflection and full truth is only possible in the divine. All this just highlights the importance of engaging with diverse voices and recognizing that each writer offers a unique, albeit potentially subjective, reflection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...