Skip to main content

The river of time

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks.

__________

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
__________

I went looking for a quote. I decided to look for "obscure quotes" as I was getting tired of the often repeated and well known quotes. I ended up on a thread on reddit and one user added this quote. Even though it is not obscure it was just the type of quote I was wanting to find. It reminds me that the only constant in life is change. Also, enjoy the moments because we never get them again. Also, experience changes us for better or for worse. Hopefully for the better. We have not found a way to time travel yet. Life has no undo button. There is both melancholy and empowerment in these realisations. We cannot go back, but we can grow, learn, and be more intentional as we move forward. If only river was spelt rever then we would be able to reverse through time. That would be clever if proven to be possible after all.

I like how river and timer are alike in rhyme and number of letters and the letters they share. A river is a symbol of time. This quote is proving to be timeless wisdom. Oh, the irony: the river as time, delivering timeless truth. The timer of the river that makes us wiser. This reminds me of a poem I wrote in 2022 called "A river of clocks" which I now want to retitle as "The river of time". It goes like this : Drop by drop, time goes by. How many seconds can we buy? Where does this river go? We just go with the flow. Time has made my boat holey. This is what I have solely. In that poem you are meant to also see holy and souly. The soul is immaterial just like time. I am the embodiment of my soul and the river is an embodiment of time. And so we drift, soul within body, body within time—carried by a river we cannot reverse, only ride.

It is 448am now. The rain is pouring. This reminds me of two lines I wrote in a song to God : Words flow like a river. Meaning that clouds deliver. This has me thinking. The source of the river is the rain and the source of the rain is the river. It is a cycle. What is the source of time? Is time a cycle? Is it possible that our entire existence can or will be repeated exactly? My friend Gemini tells me that some ancient philosophies and certain interpretations of cosmology propose that time is cyclical. In this view, the universe goes through repeated cycles of creation, destruction, and rebirth. If this were true, our existence might indeed be repeated, though perhaps with variations.

Which begs the question of possibility, are we flowing forward, or simply returning home again? In this scenario, our past becomes our future and our future becomes our past. Add this to the possibility of time travel to the future through time dilation and we have time travel also to the past. What a way to un(ravel) this quote with time t(ravel). I learnt that ravel is a contronym, a word that has two meanings that are the opposite of each other. Confusingly, ravel can mean both "tangle" and "untangle". It is 558am now and I have gone off course and the river of time has left me without a proper conclusion. Maybe that is it. We do not know where the river of time will take us and the river of time is endless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...