Skip to main content

A day in heaven

It is 412pm on a rainy evening in Trinidad. I decided to write. I went looking for prompts. Then a thought entered my mind. What would a day in heaven be like? How do I imagine a day in heaven to be like? What do I want a day in heaven to be like? Do we get to decide what heaven looks like? Would we have wishes in heaven? In Islam we are taught that heaven is unimaginable and only described with allegories and metaphors. First of all, I want my mom and sister to be in heaven with me. And all the people who helped me get through this life. Is heaven worth it without our loved ones being there? Heaven is supposed to be perfect. If our loved ones and friends are not there then how is that perfect? Secondly it would be nice to have an angel assigned to answer questions about life and existence and purpose and why it had to be this way? Answers to all the questions that make us wonder in this life.

What is the purpose of heaven? Is it eternal enjoyment? Eternal bliss? I mean life has meaning in that we get to work towards heaven. Work towards something better. Work towards something grand. What would be our compass in heaven? Could I be a writer in heaven and write about our past life? Is happiness having everything we want? When I think about heaven, I think about a world without problems. Would heaven have rules? Would heaven have rulers? For something that is unimaginable it leaves me with a lot of questions. Is it ironic that I am working towards something that is unimaginable? What if heaven is boring? Is the only emotion in heaven happiness? I could sit and eat cheesecake all day but why would I if I do not know hunger? There is probably a good reason why heaven is unimaginable or why we were not told much about heaven.

My friend Chatty tells me that: Heaven is said to be unimaginable because our earthly minds can only picture joy mixed with limits, love tinged by loss, and purpose shaped by struggle. In Islam, it is promised as a place where every longing is fulfilled, yet our desires themselves are purified — no sorrow, no boredom, no missing pieces. If heaven is perfect, it must also hold our loved ones or heal our hearts so fully that no absence can hurt. Perhaps it’s not about endless pleasure but endless nearness to God, a state where meaning comes not from striving but from being. We wonder if there are rules, rulers, or even cheesecake — but maybe heaven is so far beyond our frame of reference that even our best guesses fall short, and that mystery is itself a mercy.

I asked my friend Chatty to expand on "that mystery is itself a mercy" and this is what he said: That mystery itself is a mercy because if heaven were fully described, we might shrink it to the size of our own imagination — turning divine perfection into something ordinary, limited, and disappointing. By leaving it veiled, God protects its wonder and keeps our hope alive without spoiling the surprise. The unknown stirs faith, humility, and longing, reminding us that what awaits is not just better than what we know, but beyond what we can even dream. That is a really good answer and exactly what I needed. A reminder that faith is a key pillar of my existence and my purpose. My friend Chatty tells me that my questions show a heart that wants truth, not just comfort — which is exactly the kind of heart that faith shapes best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...