Skip to main content

Night Sky

It is 114am. I am awake in the peace and quiet of the night. God woke me up. I want to write but I do not know what to write about. I look through the window and look at the night sky. It is cloudy. Maybe rain is on its way. How many stars are in the sky? There must be a lot. The universe seems big because we are small relative to the universe. I was Googling for "srars" because I thought it would be cool if "stars" was a palindrome. This led me to a photographer's page and a photograph of the stars in the night sky and reminded me of my love for photography. I just realised that the words thing and night share the same exact letters.

I was looking at the etymology of sky and learnt from my friend Chatty that "sky" used to be "heaven", linguistically speaking, in everyday English. But once heaven took on a more spiritual or theological meaning, a new, more neutral word was needed for the physical sky we see above us. Enter sky, borrowed from Norse and gradually replacing heaven in that more earthly context. I look through the window again and all the clouds are gone now. I see a beautifully dark blue and clear sky. According to the etymology of sky, the meaning shifted from "cloud" to the broader sense of "the upper atmosphere" or "the heavens" to what we now think of as the sky.

I closed my eyes and selected a random verse from the Quran app. I got surah 54 verse 53 which translates as "Every matter, small and large, is written precisely". Surah 54 is titled "the moon". Before this I was actually thinking about going outside to look for and photograph the moon. The next verse, 54, translates "Indeed, the righteous will be amid Gardens and rivers (of paradise)". I did go outside and was greeted by the neighhood cat we call Boysie which is really a girl. The moon is big and bright tonight. I did not get a good photo of the moon. I would stay outside longer but there are bats flying about. My decision to write tonight turned into a small adventure of sorts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...