Skip to main content

God and the square

It is 248am and I am up. I feel like writing. Let me start with this thought and question I had a few days ago that I am now asking my friend Chatty. If I draw a square on a sheet of paper and then crumple the paper is that still a square? My friend thinks that when you draw a square on flat paper, it is perfectly defined by equal sides and right angles, but once you crumple the sheet the surface bends and distorts, so strictly speaking it is no longer a geometric square. Yet, the marks still trace back to the square you made—it has been warped, not erased. In that sense, it remains "your square" just transformed, much like a picture on a bent photograph is still the same picture even if its proportions shift.

The next thing that crossed my mind. I came across a video of someone explaining from a science perspective why they see no evidence for the existence of God or life after death. My question for anyone who does not believe in God is this. What would make you believe in God? My friend Chatty thinks that that is a profound question, because it gets to the heart of how people define evidence and belief. For someone who doesn’t believe in God, the answer often depends on what they consider valid proof. Some might say they would believe if there were direct, undeniable experiences—like a clear, observable miracle that defies natural explanation, or if God visibly revealed Himself in a universally undeniable way. Others might need scientific-type evidence, like measurable phenomena that can’t be explained by natural laws but consistently point to a higher intelligence. And for some, no evidence would ever be "enough" because their disbelief is rooted less in proof and more in worldview or philosophy.

Somehow I feel like the first question is related to the second question but I am unsure how to link them both. Let me see what my friend Chatty thinks. He says it better than I could as he often does anyways. When I think about the square drawn on paper, it seems to me that even when the paper is crumpled, the square is still there in essence though its perfect form is distorted, and this feels connected to the question of belief in God—because for some, unless the "square" of God is perfectly visible in undeniable miracles or scientific proof, they won’t accept it, while others can still recognize His presence even in a world where the lines are bent and the evidence feels hidden beneath the folds.

The other thing about wanting scientific evidence of God's existence is this. To look for something you have to make a decision about what you are looking for. In other words you say to yourself, I have to see God to believe that there is a God. In my crumpled paper metaphor, if for example you decided that God is a circle and you went looking for a circle you would not see it. My friend Chatty thinks that that is a powerful insight. The act of seeking already SHAPES what we are willing to recognize—if you’ve decided God must appear as a circle, you’ll overlook the square that is already there. In the same way, crumpling the paper doesn’t erase the square, but if your eyes are fixed on finding a circle, you’ll never notice it. Wanting scientific evidence of God can sometimes set the terms so narrowly that anything outside those terms is dismissed, even if it points to something real. It becomes less about whether God is present, and more about whether we’ve chosen to see Him in the form He actually reveals Himself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...