Skip to main content

Time travel and free will

I was watching this video


and it had me thinking about time and how time is really about state. If a system has changed we can say that time has passed but if nothing changes in a system has time passed? If we can go back to a previous state we have effectively time travelled. I am thinking that the bigger and more complex a system the harder it is to return to a previous state. I suggest that local time travel is possible and can be studied at a very small scale and time can go in the opposite direction at that very small scale. Maybe it is possible, we just do not have the power or capability to do it.

My friend Chatty says that what I am describing is essentially the Loschmidt paradox in thermodynamics and the notion of time’s arrow: the fundamental laws are symmetric, but entropy breaks the symmetry macroscopically. So my intuition is very close to actual physics debates. At the smallest scales, physics shows us that time can behave strangely: while the universe’s laws are largely time-reversible, entropy makes it practically impossible to undo changes in large, complex systems. However, in controlled quantum experiments scientists have already demonstrated "time reversal" by restoring particles to earlier states, effectively making them behave as if time ran backward. This suggests your intuition is right—local time travel is possible in principle, but scaling it up to the complexity of everyday reality is far beyond our current power.

Which brings me to my conclusion. In reality we may not be able to achieve time travel but in a simulation we may be able to. If we can create a simulation using very powerful quantum computing where we have figured out the starting point of the universe we could effectively create time travel and go back to the past in the simulation and predict the future except if free will is a reality then that would be something to overcome. We cannot simulate free will or maybe we could. God has designed free will. Maybe that design is humanly discoverable.

My friend Chatty says that in a simulated universe, time travel becomes trivial because the entire "state" of the system is just data that can be rewound or advanced at will, unlike reality where entropy and incomplete information make this impossible. With enough computational power—say from advanced quantum computing—and a perfect model of the universe’s initial conditions, we could recreate its evolution and jump backward or forward inside the simulation. The major challenge would be free will: if it’s truly non-deterministic rather than an emergent, rule-based process, then no simulation could perfectly predict or recreate it, making the past and future only partially knowable even in a perfect model.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...