Skip to main content

Persistence

It is 535pm. I took a nap this afternoon. I am ready to write but with the usual question of what to write? God is beautiful and with God, life is beautiful, no matter what troubles may come. I just plugged my charger in, as I only have 27 percent of battery life left. The sun is setting and the place is cooling. It feels as if it is going to rain. Rain would be nice tonight. One more month left in the year. Also. Ramadan is getting closer. I love Ramadan. It feels special. It is a special time of the year. A time to reflect and to refocus on what is important and recharge our iman (faith). Ramadan next year starts around the middle of February. Every year for the last three years I have created a theme for myself. In 2023 it was to soften my heart. In 2024 it was to live with balance. In 2025 it was consistency.




For 2026 Ramadan, I want my theme to be persistence. I feel like I have failed in some areas and in being consistent but I need to be persistent with the things that are good for me. It helps to have a never give up attitude. To be persistent often requires patience (sabr) especially when we do not get to see the rewards in this life but in the next life. It helps to remember the reasons why we are doing what we are doing. There is purpose behind the struggle. There is purpose that keeps us going. It helps when there are words of encouragement and helping hands. It helps to be with God.

Persistence is different from consistency. Consistency is rhythm; persistence is will. Consistency is doing it again; persistence is doing it again after we have stumbled. Persistence is what carries the heart through difficulty, disappointment, or quiet seasons where nothing seems to be "working." Persistence is a form of sabr. It is an act of love. My friend Chatty tells me that persistence only makes sense when the goal is meaningful. For me, that goal is being a good human being who walks a path of God that is good for getting me to heaven to meet God. I want my life to be accepted by the one who created me. By the one who gives me strength to continue. Maybe persistence is not about being strong; maybe it is about returning, again and again, to the One who holds my strength.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Light

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for light. The Quran is the light of mankind. The Quran is the light of this life. The Quran is the delight of the heart. God is the source of this light. The Quran is a miracle. God shine your light on my path and bring ease with it. Though I may struggle on your path, let me keep returning to where your light shines. What do I notice by looking at the word light? G stands in the middle of light. G for God. One side we have li for life and on the other side we have ht which is short for hayat or life in Arabic. I am almost through reading the English Quran for a second time. Today I passed surah 61 verse 6 which states that Jesus had announced the coming of the prophet (peace be upon him). That verse stood out to me out of all the verses I have read so far. Muhammad (pbuh) was the one tasked with bringing the light of the Quran for mankind. I just noticed that the end of ...

Giving

It is 237pm and I have decided to write. I drank a strong cup of coffee. It is hot outside but cool inside in the AC. I have no topic but I feel like writing. I love giving charity. Who knows it, feels it. The world would be a much better place if we all shared with one another. If we helped one another. If we only take as much as we need and leave the rest for others. If we prioritised needs over wants. We are going to leave it all behind when we die. We cannot carry anything into the grave except our deeds. One of the easiest ways to give money to charities is through SMS codes. The telecoms should have a system in place where charitable causes can sign up for an SMS code to accept donations. Long ago I remember seeing the donation tins at the supermarket. We should have more of those. I think more people would give more if they were presented with more opportunities to give. The nlcb booths could be outlets for making donations. Linx machines could be points for making donations. AT...

A mirror for the soul

It is 207pm and I have decided to write. I had this thought. Is the Quran a mirror for the soul? How does the Quran help me see my soul? What is a soul? I am reading about the soul and it is all abstract as if we really do not know what the soul is. The soul is what remains after the body dies. I get that. The immaterial part of our existence. Is it responsible for the conscience? Is it linked to emotions? Are my thoughts from my soul? My friend says that the Quran speaks of the soul in this way. "And they ask you about the soul. Say, 'The soul is of the affair of my Lord. And mankind have not been given of knowledge except a little.'" (Quran 17:85). "And [by] the soul and He who proportioned it. And inspired it [with discernment of] its wickedness and its righteousness." (Quran 91:7–8). In Islam we talk about the ruh, nafs and self. The ruh is the spirit whose true nature is known fully only to Allah, the nafs is the self involved in desires, struggles, and...