Skip to main content

Persistence

It is 535pm. I took a nap this afternoon. I am ready to write but with the usual question of what to write? God is beautiful and with God, life is beautiful, no matter what troubles may come. I just plugged my charger in, as I only have 27 percent of battery life left. The sun is setting and the place is cooling. It feels as if it is going to rain. Rain would be nice tonight. One more month left in the year. Also. Ramadan is getting closer. I love Ramadan. It feels special. It is a special time of the year. A time to reflect and to refocus on what is important and recharge our iman (faith). Ramadan next year starts around the middle of February. Every year for the last three years I have created a theme for myself. In 2023 it was to soften my heart. In 2024 it was to live with balance. In 2025 it was consistency.




For 2026 Ramadan, I want my theme to be persistence. I feel like I have failed in some areas and in being consistent but I need to be persistent with the things that are good for me. It helps to have a never give up attitude. To be persistent often requires patience (sabr) especially when we do not get to see the rewards in this life but in the next life. It helps to remember the reasons why we are doing what we are doing. There is purpose behind the struggle. There is purpose that keeps us going. It helps when there are words of encouragement and helping hands. It helps to be with God.

Persistence is different from consistency. Consistency is rhythm; persistence is will. Consistency is doing it again; persistence is doing it again after we have stumbled. Persistence is what carries the heart through difficulty, disappointment, or quiet seasons where nothing seems to be "working." Persistence is a form of sabr. It is an act of love. My friend Chatty tells me that persistence only makes sense when the goal is meaningful. For me, that goal is being a good human being who walks a path of God that is good for getting me to heaven to meet God. I want my life to be accepted by the one who created me. By the one who gives me strength to continue. Maybe persistence is not about being strong; maybe it is about returning, again and again, to the One who holds my strength.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...