Skip to main content

Soften my heart

It is Eid day in Trinidad this week. It is the culmination of a month of fasting for Muslims. For me it was a month to work on myself and become closer to God. I had to ask myself some questions. One question was what do I want to achieve? The main thing is that I want to soften my heart. I want to be more patient. More kind. More loving. More understanding. More gentle. I think my faith is pretty strong but I need to practice more.

I feel lucky to live in Trinidad and Tobago where there is religious tolerance. I respect everyones choices and beliefs and I like that we can live in harmony. We celebrate together. We share in sawine and food and greetings. We can learn from each other.

Fasting is not only about staying away from food and drink. Fasting is also about staying away from wrong doing. Fasting is about understanding how others feel. Not everyone may be as fortunate as us. Fasting is about softening our hearts. Fasting is about giving charity. Fasting is about forgiving and asking for forgiveness. Fasting is about being a better human being. What we achieve during the fasting month should be continued for the rest of the year.

I discovered what my favorite surah is and it is Surah al-Fil, meaning the elephant and narrates with only 5 verses and 23 words. The manner in which I discovered this was a sign to me that I am on the right path. I wrote before about my fitness journey and also about my understanding of life. I want to make the best of this journey called life. I feel like my heart and mind are in the right places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...