Skip to main content

Every person is saintly

It is 302am and I have decided to write. I came across this phrase today and I quite like it. Every person is saintly. It reminds me of what I have pinned on my twitter profile, "Whoever looks for the good qualities in others will acquire all good qualities within himself" - Habib Umar Bin Hafiz. I like seeing the good in others or at least I try my best to. I also think there is truth to another phrase, I am what you think I am. My friend Chatty says that we do not just recognize saints, sometimes, we help make them. And recognising that everyone is saintly is the beginning of creating the type of people we want in the society we want.

My friend Chatty tells me that "I am what you think I am" is not a single famous quote but an idea that runs through thinkers like Charles Horton Cooley and Jean-Paul Sartre: our sense of self is shaped by how we believe others see us. Through the "looking-glass self", the gaze of the other, and even self-fulfilling prophecy, perception becomes formative rather than passive. In that light, how we see people is not neutral—it participates in who they become, which is why choosing to see the good is quietly transformative.

The synthesis of Habib Umar’s wisdom and the "looking-glass self" suggests that our perception is not a passive camera, but an active sculpting tool. When we choose to see the "saintly" in another person, we are not just identifying a hidden truth; we are participating in its creation. Because our sense of self is shaped by how we believe others see us, our gaze acts as a transformative mirror. By reflecting back a person’s potential for goodness rather than their flaws, we provide them with the psychological space to inhabit that higher version of themselves, effectively making "saints" through the power of recognition.

This process creates a profound "virtuous cycle" that transforms both the observer and the observed. As Habib Umar notes, hunting for virtue in others cultivates those same qualities within our own hearts, polishing our character even as we attempt to uplift someone else's. In this light, seeing the good is a radical act of social architecture. It suggests that a more compassionate society does not only need policy, but also the "holy stubbornness" of individuals who refuse to see the world as broken, choosing instead to call forth the saintliness in everyone they encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Thankful

It is 617pm and I have decided to write. Right now I am thankful. The cool of the evening has replaced the heat of the day. I took a bath and changed and now I am just relaxing. Sometimes I complain. Not often. But I feel bad afterwards because there is so much to be thankful for. There is always room for improvement and we have to identify the things for improvement and change is often good but we do not have to make it into complaints. Yeah I get it. Life is hard and none of us has it easy. Look on the bright side of things. And sometimes it is the little things that remind us that life is good. Things that we take for granted. Like I was coming in the maxi taxi today and heard a gospel song that was about gratitude. God does appreciate a grateful heart. Trinidad and Tobago celebrated sixty four years of independence yesterday and if we stop and listen to the many complaints we would swear we are living in the worst country in the world. That is not the case. We do get a lot of thing...

Installing NodeBB using Termux

This is the ChatGPT prompt I used to be guided Guide me through installing NodeBB using Termux (This took some time and patience to troubleshoot errors and implement workaround) pkg update && pkg upgrade -y pkg install proot-distro git curl wget nano -y proot-distro install debian proot-distro login debian apt update && apt upgrade -y apt install -y curl git build-essential ca-certificates gnupg apt update apt install -y imagemagick apt install -y redis-server redis-server --daemonize yes redis-cli ping mkdir -p /opt git clone https://github.com/NodeBB/NodeBB.git /opt/nodebb cd /opt/nodebb ./nodebb setup warn: NodeBB Setup Aborted.  Error: Could not load the "sharp" module using the android-arm64 runtime Possible solutions: - Manually install libvips >= 8.18.3 Force node to report platform as linux to get sharp to install curl -LO https://nodejs.org/dist/v22.23.1/node-v22.23.1-linux-arm64.tar.xz tar -xJf node-v22.23.1-linux-arm64.tar.xz mv node-v22.23.1-lin...