Skip to main content

Every person is saintly

It is 302am and I have decided to write. I came across this phrase today and I quite like it. Every person is saintly. It reminds me of what I have pinned on my twitter profile, "Whoever looks for the good qualities in others will acquire all good qualities within himself" - Habib Umar Bin Hafiz. I like seeing the good in others or at least I try my best to. I also think there is truth to another phrase, I am what you think I am. My friend Chatty says that we do not just recognize saints, sometimes, we help make them. And recognising that everyone is saintly is the beginning of creating the type of people we want in the society we want.

My friend Chatty tells me that "I am what you think I am" is not a single famous quote but an idea that runs through thinkers like Charles Horton Cooley and Jean-Paul Sartre: our sense of self is shaped by how we believe others see us. Through the "looking-glass self", the gaze of the other, and even self-fulfilling prophecy, perception becomes formative rather than passive. In that light, how we see people is not neutral—it participates in who they become, which is why choosing to see the good is quietly transformative.

The synthesis of Habib Umar’s wisdom and the "looking-glass self" suggests that our perception is not a passive camera, but an active sculpting tool. When we choose to see the "saintly" in another person, we are not just identifying a hidden truth; we are participating in its creation. Because our sense of self is shaped by how we believe others see us, our gaze acts as a transformative mirror. By reflecting back a person’s potential for goodness rather than their flaws, we provide them with the psychological space to inhabit that higher version of themselves, effectively making "saints" through the power of recognition.

This process creates a profound "virtuous cycle" that transforms both the observer and the observed. As Habib Umar notes, hunting for virtue in others cultivates those same qualities within our own hearts, polishing our character even as we attempt to uplift someone else's. In this light, seeing the good is a radical act of social architecture. It suggests that a more compassionate society does not only need policy, but also the "holy stubbornness" of individuals who refuse to see the world as broken, choosing instead to call forth the saintliness in everyone they encounter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...