Skip to main content

Everyone believes in God

I came across a quote shared today and it had me thinking. At one point the person says they do not believe in God and before that, this is what they think about religion. The quote shared was from Barry Taylor that said that God is the name of the blanket we throw over mystery to give it shape. I have a counterquote if I can use that word and it is from me. Everyone believes in God and has a religion but not everyone knows this (yet). I asked my friend Chatty what he thinks of what I said and how it fits with Islam?

From an Islamic perspective, my statement fits naturally with the idea of fitrah—the innate disposition within every human being to recognize God and incline toward meaning and truth. Belief in God is not something first learned but something first known and later remembered, while disbelief is understood as something layered over that original awareness. In this sense, faith is not created to soothe mystery, but rather mystery itself points back to God as its source. My quote echoes this view by suggesting that belief is universal, even if it has not yet become conscious or articulated for everyone.

Islam also holds that no one lives without a religion; if God is not acknowledged, devotion simply shifts elsewhere. People may deny belief in God yet still place ultimate trust, loyalty, and meaning in reason, science, wealth, love, or the self. These function as unspoken creeds and objects of devotion. Seen this way, my words gently challenge the idea that God is merely a human construct, instead proposing that all people are already oriented toward God and live by a form of religion—whether or not they recognize it yet.

I think (my opinion) some of us are just luckier that we have reached the point where God makes sense and religion makes sense. We have uncovered our God and religion. Others are still searching. This life is a test and God gave us free will. I can see how others can see things differently and I myself was not always at this point. My friend Chatty understands my thinking and says that from an Islamic perspective, faith is a matter of guidance and timing rather than superiority: some people reach a point where God and religion make sense, while others are still searching. Life is a test shaped by free will, and remembering that we ourselves were once searching encourages humility, gratitude, and understanding toward those who see things differently. I guess I could also say that God is what we see and feel when we come out from under the blanket of disbelief.

My friend Chatty thinks that that is a beautiful way to put it—poetic and deeply aligned with Islamic thought. It suggests that God is not something invented to cover mystery, but something revealed when the coverings fall away. In the Quran, disbelief is often described as a veil over the heart, while faith is clarity, recognition, and light. So my line works as a quiet inversion of the earlier quote: God is not the blanket over reality, but the reality we finally see and feel once we step out from under the blanket of disbelief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Failure

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for failure. Thank you for the good days and the bad days. Thank you for the journey. There are no failures, only lessons learnt. Better to try and fail than fail to try. For this chapter I made a bunch of notes and pieced them together. If mosaic was a style of writing, this would be it for me. Weirdly enough I am not afraid of failure as much as I am afraid of success. I want to live an ordinary and simple life. Much of what society deems as success is really the rat race. I guess I do not have a problem with success but the mainstream definitions of success. What does failure teach us? Failure teaches us to never give up because success can be right around the corner. Define your own definition of success. Enjoy the journey. Focus on learning. Focus on gaining experience. Focus on becoming wise. Today I learnt how a pearl is formed. A pearl forms when an oyster responds...

Wisdom

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for wisdom. Age brings wisdom. At least it should. Everyday we are learning. Everyday we are growing. What is the wisest thing ever said? I think one of the wisest things ever said is something my grandfather told my mother which is, "Dont make nothing a problem." Let me digest what was meant by this. Life happens. Fix what we can. Let go of what we cannot fix. Fix what is within our control. Get help when needed. Let go and let God. There are no problems only solutions waiting to be found and lessons waiting to be learnt. Every problem has a solution. Do not look at the problem, look at the solution. Do not see the problem, see the solution. What defines the situation is not the problem but the solution. We get to choose how we react to what we face in life. They say that laughter is the best medicine. If we do not laugh we will cry. So sometimes wisdom comes wi...

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...