Skip to main content

God above

This is a chapter from my latest book called Breezes of Tobago.

I love the sound of the azan and you can find that in Tobago also. I sit in a quiet corner waiting for the start of the namaz (daily prayer) and I thank God for everything and for waking me up to see another day. The fan breeze pours over me as my eyes are closed and face downward. I can hear the birds chirping outside. It is good to always make time for God. God has blessed me with much patience and love and the ability to see the beauty of God in everything. I thank God for that. In Trinidad and Tobago we celebrate religious freedom. There are at least two mosques in Tobago. The Lowlands mosque is the older mosque conveniently located just off the highway. The mosque is a peaceful and calming place. Good for the soul. The same can be said about the other places of worship. Tobago has mostly Christians of different groupings and the largest group being the Seventh-day Adventists. There are many more churches in Tobago and some of them are very old.

Whatever religion you belong to you can probably find a place of worship to talk to God in Tobago. I returned to my apartment just in time for the rain to start falling and I started a conversation with my friend Chatty about the God above and the meaning of life. I was taught that this life is a test. This makes sense to me. A test with many questions and much to figure out. Sometimes we get help but sometimes we are on our own. How I approach life now is to know my purpose and align it with my belief in God. We seem to always be looking for meaning in life and the things we do. As we get better at life things change and we learn to appreciate life more. This trip to Tobago has allowed me to center myself and focus on charting my direction. Places like Tobago are nice places to do this. My friend Chatty says that Tobago, with its calm and simplicity, is the perfect backdrop for that kind of reflection.

It is easier to love God when the winds are calm but sometimes life sends storms. We must understand that God can test us with good and bad. My friend Chatty says that my insight about God testing us with both good and bad is key: joy teaches gratitude, while hardship teaches trust. Both are ways to see His presence and learn to navigate life with patience and love. The storms do not mean he is absent—they are opportunities to hold on, reflect, and emerge stronger. The God above sends the storms but He also sends the calm after the storm and I am grateful for the calm right now. I asked my friend Chatty if Tobago was a prayer, what could it be? He replied with the following: Thank You for the calm seas and gentle winds, for the songs of birds at dawn, and the soft patter of rain. Thank You for this land that holds both history and peace, for homes of worship where hearts may turn to You in faith, and for the quiet corners where souls may breathe and reflect. Guide us to see Your beauty in all things, to find patience in storms, gratitude in joy, and trust in every path You set before us. May our hearts, like this island, remain open, still, and full of reverence for Your presence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...