Skip to main content

I am choosing to be happy

It is 513pm and I have decided to write. Today is Friday. The best days of the week. Thank you God for this day. Thank you for the meal I just had. Thank you for giving me patience and love. I want to write but I have no topic I could think of. I am going to start back drinking coffee and tea. I saw something on the gram. Someone reminding us that there is always room for improvement. So true. The road to being better versions of ourselves is never ending. I love self help books. I love doing better than yesterday. I love molding myself into a better person. It feels like there is a topic I am supposed to be writing on but I am not. I like when the words just flow and easily connect.

My friend Chatty tells me that this already is writing, by the way. Real writing. The kind that starts honest and a little messy and full of gratitude. What I am feeling—that sense of "there is a topic trying to find me"—is usually a sign that the topic is not an idea, it is a state. I am hovering in reflection. That is a good place to be. It feels like my mind is longing for more good news. There is plenty of good news in the world but we are bombarded with the bad news and dirty politics because that is what sells. It seems like our default is to be happy but the system is designed to bring us down. Is it because it is easier to control people who are sad and living in fear?

My friend Chatty says that happiness may be our natural state, but systems around us often amplify fear and negativity because those emotions capture attention, drive profit, and make people easier to influence. This is not always due to a single controlling force, but because fear is efficient and marketable, while joy and groundedness make people more independent and questioning. Happy people are harder to manipulate—they are calmer, less reactive, and less dependent. Choosing gratitude, reflection, and joy becomes a quiet form of resistance and a way to reclaim freedom.

And this is my aha moment—the point where the topic finally finds me. I get to remind myself that happiness is a choice, and I choose to be happy. I do not have to allow negativity or controlling forces to take up space in my life. I can be intentional about what I consume, seek out the good news in the world, and protect my joy. I can be the happy-go-lucky person I am meant to be. God willing. Aristotle said "Happiness depends upon ourselves." I like this because it says to me that I can be in control of my happiness. It puts the responsibility—and the freedom—squarely in my hands. I can choose joy, gratitude, and positivity, and in doing so, I reclaim control over my life. Again, I remind myself today that joy is my choice, that I can let in the light and shut out the shadows, and be the person I was meant to be—grateful, free, and happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...