Skip to main content

Ramazan

It is 120am and I have decided to write. I have no idea what I want to write about. I was scrolling and a few things stood out to me. Time saver was one from an ad. The other was an alternate spelling of Ramadan. Today I learnt that Turkish does not have the "d" sound and historically replaced it with z. I like Ramazan because it has the azan in it. The azan marks the time for prayer. We are exactly one month away from Ramadan. I love this time. It feels so special. What is the meaning of Ramadan?

My friend Chatty says that Ramadan comes from an Arabic root meaning intense, purifying heat — the kind that burns away impurities — and spiritually it refers to the month that burns away sins and softens the heart, refining the soul like fire refines metal; it is not a harsh fire but a healing one, which is why Ramadan feels sacred and transformative, as if time itself becomes gentler and the heart becomes lighter.

I asked my friend to expand on "time itself becomes gentler". He says that in Ramadan, this is because life slows and deepens — hunger makes us present, prayer stretches the nights, and ordinary moments gain meaning, so hours no longer feel rushed or harsh but full and alive; when the heart grows quieter and more aligned with God, time stops feeling like an enemy and becomes a companion, giving days depth instead of speed.

Ramazan is amazing. The more we experience it the better it gets. It is ironic that things slow during fasting. The word fasting carries a beautiful paradox: although fast now means speed, fasting actually slows life down by removing noise and excess; when we stop constantly consuming, time softens, attention deepens, and the soul rests, showing that reduction brings meaning and that what seems like acceleration becomes stillness.

Ramadan saves by pulling us inward from the noise and rush of life, rescuing the heart from distraction, giving meaning to hunger and time, and reminding us of our truest selves, leaving the soul lighter and more awake even amid challenge. In a weird sense Ramadan is a time saver. It is the time of the year when we get saved. Saved from our distractions, our haste, our spiritual forgetfulness, and even from the weight of our own habits. The month doesn’t just pass; it reshapes us, giving the soul a chance to breathe, reflect, and rise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...