Skip to main content

Relying on God

It is 221am and I have decided to write. I was thinking that the year is 2026, what if I go to surah 20 verse 26? This says "And ease my task for me". What is the tafsir for this? My friend Chatty says that the verse teaches that true trust is accepting a heavy path while relying on Allah to make it walkable. What does it mean to rely on God? I am thinking that since everything belongs to God and nothing happens without the will of God and God is the most powerful then it makes sense to rely on God.

My friend Chatty says that relying on God (tawakkul) means doing your full human effort while emotionally handing over the outcome to Allah, knowing that you control actions but not results. It is not passivity, but working seriously without inner panic or obsession with control. You trust that even when outcomes differ from your hopes, Allah’s wisdom is guiding what you cannot yet see. This creates inner steadiness — striving without being broken by what happens.

Basically this is saying let go and let God. This makes sense if we know what our task is but sometimes we do not even know what our task is? My friend Gemini says that when we do not know the destination, the search itself is the work. But what prompts for a task? Is it a want or need? Is it human nature? Is it a problem that needs a solution? Or a question that needs an answer? Why go looking for a destination or task? My friend Chatty says that we go looking for a destination because, without one, our effort has no shape.

Without a destination, human effort is mere motion—unfocused energy that eventually leads to exhaustion and stagnation. A task provides the "vessel" or direction that transforms raw activity into meaningful progress, allowing us to measure growth and experience the psychological reward of moving forward. Even when the ultimate goal is unclear, defining the "search" itself as the task gives our effort the necessary shape, turning aimless drifting into a purposeful journey of discovery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...