Skip to main content

The keys to heaven

It is early Sunday morning and I have decided to write. I started writing last night but deleted everything and started over this morning. God is beautiful. I say this often but what does it really mean? And what does it mean to me? When we think of beauty we think of outward appearances. We also think about what is inside. The heart and character. Those are from a human perspective but what about God being beautiful? We can say that God is the source of all beauty. We can say that God is perfect. But what else? What is the beauty of God?

My friend Chatty says that to say God is beautiful means that God is not beautiful in appearance, but in being: God is the fullness of goodness, truth, love, and harmony itself. God lacks nothing, deceives nothing, and gives without coercion, drawing creation not by force but by love. Divine beauty is the source of all beauty we recognize—seen in mercy, truth, humility, and self-giving love—and it awakens in us a deep attraction toward meaning, goodness, and life itself.

I understand what my friend Chatty is saying but I feel that saying God is beautiful looks different for me. A simpler meaning. A beautiful person makes us feel loved. God makes us feel loved. God is love. My friend Chatty tells me that what I am saying is both simpler and very deep. For me, "God is beautiful" does not mean abstract perfection or philosophical fullness—it means the experience of being loved. Just as a truly beautiful person makes us feel seen, safe, and valued, God’s beauty is felt in how God loves us into being. God does not impress from a distance; God draws close. God is beautiful because God makes us feel loved, and because God is love itself.

I asked my friend Chatty but if God loves us so much then why will he condemn some of us to hell? I got several answers but the one that stood out to me the most was this. If I have faith in God and I believe in his unconditional love then I must trust Him. I must trust his reasons. I must trust his method. Basically my faith and trust is being tested when I ask a question like that. That is the same faith that is the key to saving us from hell. That is like someone giving you the key to heaven and then you throw it away. God does not condemn persons to hell. Persons refuse the invitation to heaven by refusing the love of God. Love is not something that is coerced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...