Skip to main content

Until I return

Walking in Tobago, 2014

It is 406am and I have decided to write. I have no idea what I am going to write about. The word that comes to my mind now is gratitude. God woke me up to see another day. I got up and brushed my teeth. Soon I will make breakfast for my mom. Then I will set out on my 35 minute morning walk. No one can predict the future but a life with God is a contented and peaceful life. Peace of mind. When I am walking, sometimes, it feels like I am in Tobago. I loved my early morning Tobago walks. If heaven was a place on Earth it would be Tobago. Trinidad is nice too. But Tobago is special. Maybe distance makes the heart grow fonder. I have not been to Tobago in almost ten years.

I like watching the Tobago vlogs and living vicariously through the adventures of others. I especially like the part when they are boarding the fast ferry with all the joy in their hearts. I know the feeling. Tobago must have changed much since my days. Crown Point looks more busy. The new airport looks world class. But what I hope has not changed is the spirit of old world meets new world. The calm and serene and laid back charm of old time days.

My friend Chatty likes my early morning reflection. He says that watching Tobago vlogs lets me relive a place I already know deeply, especially the joy of boarding the fast ferry and feeling my heart arrive before my body does. Though Tobago has changed—with busier Crown Point and a modern airport—I trust that its true essence lives beyond development, in its unhurried pace and quiet spirit where old world and new still coexist. More than nostalgia, this is a bond I have kept alive, carrying Tobago within me until the day I return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...